printer management vs. ICC profiles

sfgregory

Hello Everyone,
Can anyone tell me why using printer manages color, and choosing SWOP emulation, or rgb emulations (The Files working spaces) in the printers driver yields "FAR BETTER" results than allowing the Adobe CS4 Applications to handle color and selecting the printers ICC's? This baffles me. I also have tried to create a custom profile using and eyeone display, and that look just as awful as the canned ICC's! I must be doing something wrong.

When you "allow" Photoshop to handle color management you have to disable it in the driver menu (you have to set color to "color management off" or custom and then through an advanced menu to "off") and choose the corresponding media (this part handles the calibration).

How are you using an Eyeone display (O.0) to create a print profile???? The eye one display is for display and not printer.

What knowledge of colour management you have? The printer is designed to work with those that have little knowledge. CS4 is more powerful when managed correctly, but if you do not have the correct settings you will get better results by the printer guessing what to do.

There are too many uncertainties to give you advice, one would need to know more about your workflow. How much do you know about separations? Are you working in RGB, CMYK or mixed workflow. How do you run your printer? What kind? Do you ues a RIP?

Hello Everyone,
Can anyone tell me why using printer manages color, and choosing SWOP emulation, or rgb emulations (The Files working spaces) in the printers driver yields "FAR BETTER" results than allowing the Adobe CS4 Applications to handle color and selecting the printers ICC's? This baffles me. I also have tried to create a custom profile using and eyeone display, and that look just as awful as the canned ICC's! I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks for the speedy replies!
My background in the industry started as a prepress film stripper in the early 90's, a drum scanner operator through the 90's and into the early 00's, and for the the last part of the decade, a graphic designer/wide format printer. I have read bruce fraz(s)er's real world color management book, taken classes/books in photoshop, illustrator and Indesign and a three day course on Onyx production house. Still lost as ever. My settings in the driver are set to application manages color/native. I don't see an area available to actually turn off color in the driver. Also, the eye one device I use comes with the software to create ICC profiles. I use it to create monitor profiles and in Production house to recalibrate profiles. It seems to be the right one. My confusion might seem to be double conversions and how to keep the printer "out of the way"
Maybe the printer is not made to be refined so accurately?

Thanks for the speedy replies!
My background in the industry started as a prepress film stripper in the early 90's, a drum scanner operator through the 90's and into the early 00's, and for the the last part of the decade, a graphic designer/wide format printer. I have read bruce fraz(s)er's real world color management book, taken classes/books in photoshop, illustrator and Indesign and a three day course on Onyx production house. Still lost as ever. My settings in the driver are set to application manages color/native. I don't see an area available to actually turn off color in the driver. Also, the eye one device I use comes with the software to create ICC profiles. I use it to create monitor profiles and in Production house to recalibrate profiles. It seems to be the right one. My confusion might seem to be double conversions and how to keep the printer "out of the way"
Maybe the printer is not made to be refined so accurately?
Oh...Also I use the production house rip only for a designjet 9000s solvent printer and print directly to the HP5500 from applications. (haven't had much luck getting good results using the Onyx rip to the 5500)

Frankly, it's not possible given the information you've provided to answer your questions.

However as a few observations: If you're doing everything correctly, you should get much better results from that 5500 through Onyx than directly from Photoshop, particularly if it's a non-PS version. The HPGL2 driver for those printers is a color disaster.

Also from your description it sounds as if you bought an iOne spectro and probably are using iOne match to try and make printer profiles.

To be as gentle as possible: That's not a good idea. Just because Match will make a CMYK profile doesn't mean it will make a good one.

I will say I work with guys just like yourself all the time. All your problems are resolvable. What would put them all behind you once and for all would be to have me or someone like me come and show you at your location how all the pieces fit together.

And as far as I know, of the "guys like me" out there, I'm the only one who guarantees you'll consider the money I charge the best money you ever spent, or you don't have to pay it.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Frankly, it's not possible given the information you've provided to answer your questions.

However as a few observations: If you're doing everything correctly, you should get much better results from that 5500 through Onyx than directly from Photoshop, particularly if it's a non-PS version. The HPGL2 driver for those printers is a color disaster.

Also from your description it sounds as if you bought an iOne spectro and probably are using iOne match to try and make printer profiles.

To be as gentle as possible: That's not a good idea. Just because Match will make a CMYK profile doesn't mean it will make a good one.

I will say I work with guys just like yourself all the time. All your problems are resolvable. What would put them all behind you once and for all would be to have me or someone like me come and show you at your location how all the pieces fit together.

And as far as I know, of the "guys like me" out there, I'm the only one who guarantees you'll consider the money I charge the best money you ever spent, or you don't have to pay it.

Mike Adams
Correct Color
You are right, I am using eyeone match to create icc profiles that will be be used to print to a 5500ps printer. It has a rip on board; (crude one) and I'm not sure if it really even is a rip, maybe just a postscript printer. My discouragement is that there is no one here at my company that knows anything about these printers or color management at all and I've been just trying to get by "google-ing" all my problems. I am at a wall.
When I print using the onyx rip, with the profiles onyx has created, I still get undesirable results, meaning, again, just printing from the application/driver with no profiles, and letting the printer manage looks better. I need to learn how to, and push myself to create "real" custom profiles with the Onyx rip, but I need Major assistance that Onyx doesn't have (Documents). I guess guys like me need to be talked to like a "second grader". If you price is right I might just cough up the money! 510-895 6300

Onyx has a way that you can create useable profiles.
As well as documentation to do it. I would suggest reading the help portion of Onyx.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back