Printing envelopes with the Canon 7000

SES

I have 13"x10" envelopes that I want to print on. I register the paper as an irregular size with "plain" (I've tried Heavy 1 as well) as the weight. I send the 13x10 PDF to print and the printer screen says "Printing...", pulls the envelope from the tray, then spits it out into discard tray, then goes to "Printer is warming up". This cycle continues until it has spit all of the paper out.

I would try to run it through rotated 90 degrees, but I don't want the envelope's flap to open up in the machine.

Edit: I think it's detecting a double feed because of the envelope flap...is there a way for me to disable that (other than the service menu...can I do it through the service menu myself?)? For now, I'm going to try to run it as a thicker stock to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Hi Ses,

The C7000VP isn't designed or meant for printing envelopes, so I'm not surprised by the problems you're having.

Your assessment is very likely regarding the detection. The technology is very useful to detect double feeds, but may be inhibiting you from doing this particular application. Any adjustment to the sensors themselves would require a service technician.

Probably not the answer you're looking for... but I hope that's helpful.

Hi Ses,

The C7000VP isn't designed or meant for printing envelopes, so I'm not surprised by the problems you're having.

Your assessment is very likely regarding the detection. The technology is very useful to detect double feeds, but may be inhibiting you from doing this particular application. Any adjustment to the sensors themselves would require a service technician.

Probably not the answer you're looking for... but I hope that's helpful.

That's what the tech told me as well, but he didn't say I couldn't do it :D. He's coming by tomorrow to turn off the double-feed detection and we'll see what happens. I'll update this thread with my results.

You'll more than likely have wrinkling from the fuser. I have tried run them on my 8000AP but they wrinkle to the point that they are not sell-able.

Would opening the flap of the envelope work? We do it on an offset press when we have a large qty to print on face and flap to do it one pass.

Would opening the flap of the envelope work? We do it on an offset press when we have a large qty to print on face and flap to do it one pass.

I thought about that, but I'm worried about the adhesive coming off onto the rollers.

I sell the 7000 and I can tell you that envelops are not going to work, flap opened or closed, do to the double feed detection. The sensor hears the echo between the pages and ejects the envelope. I picked up the Xanté Digital Envelope Press and we sell that to go along with the 7000. It works great, the quality is fine and the cost per page is quite low. Additionally, it has a conveyor belt for the output that your operators will like (much better suited for envelops than a catch tray).

I'd have to agree with GotToner? in that unfortunately your envelope application probably wont work and if you do find a way to 'force it' you're taking some risk given the adhesive and the non-square/rectangular size.

Possible solution for other envelope sizes...

Possible solution for other envelope sizes...

I thought about that, but I'm worried about the adhesive coming off onto the rollers.

Have you ever looked at Convertible Solutions? http://www.convertiblesolutions.com/

They sell "pre-converted" paper for use in digital presses. Some of it is just sheets that are pre-scored and/or perfed but they also have a range of products with what they call "co-adhesive" glue already applied. Supposedly the glue is in 2 parts that hold up to the heat in the press and only adhere to each other after printing. I'm not sure if they make a 10x13" envelope product that will work in the 7000, mainly because of the size limitations but they have some other interesting products. None of our local envelope converters want anything to do with variable data sheets and they seem to have a solution for some of our needs along those lines.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back