Printing Inks and the Mechanisms of Printing – New Technology?

D Ink Man

Printing inks were discovered or invented some 4300 years ago in ancient China. It took sometime after that to develop this discovery into a viable vehicle where it could be used as a component that could produce multiple impressions of reasonable duplicity. Hence, PRINTING was born.

Now looking at this INK, it should be understood that the three basic ingredients that were inherent to the first ink are still the same in all inks that are produced today. These three components are key to the subject presented here today.

The new technologies, to date very much unproven, are missing the most important factor of the three in the make up of an ink. Carrying on here; the mechanism of transference, solubility and the proper wetting of all three components are absolutely crucial to the successful formation of an ink to achieve PRINTING.

What these ‘new inventors’ fail to realize is that the component they are mostly relying on are very poor carriers to satisfy the requirements aforementioned. Air and water are indeed necessary to promote life on earth, but were not designed to create this lovely thing we all know as PRINTING.

The people from forty three centuries ago knew this and the principles of their thinking have not changed today. This should open the eyes of the most intelligent as well as some of the fewer naïve to the limitations of such grandiose schemes.

D Ink Man

Sorry, is this a second post in a series? I don't understand what the "new technologies" are, who the "new inventors" are or the "grandiose schemes" etc. Can you please be less cryptic?

No I cannot, because there is no mystery in the meaning, it is not puzzling and it is certainly no secret.

Cats out of the bag, more and more each day.

Wow, that was very dramatic. I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe someone else can help me out here?

D Ink Man air and water are an essential part of the lithographic process. Using air and water to squirt ink does have its place, it is still printing just doesn't require an imaged carrier to transfer ink.

Doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to figure this out. Just someone with adequate size marbles.

I have laid the groundwork and the revealation.

It is now on the ledger and shall stew until................

D Ink Man

nanography is just inkjet that uses a carrier to transfer the film. If the carrier ever gets dirty with calcium carbonate, styrenated starches, kaolin, cellulose, silicon, soaps and all of the other particles in paper it suddenly becomes ineffective and unable to transfer the ink jetted nano film.

so, why not just blurt out what you are talking about then ?

so, why not just blurt out what you are talking about then ?

From what you have presented Mr. Jahn, that would only leave one. Correct?

D

I have no idea - since you never declare what "new technology" or "ink" you are bloviating about (somewhat aimlesly I might add )

D Ink Man air and water are an essential part of the lithographic process. Using air and water to squirt ink does have its place, it is still printing just doesn't require an imaged carrier to transfer ink.

Update joyce>"Definition of PRINTING" <

The art, process, or business of producing books, newspapers, etc., by impression from movable types, plates, etc.

"Impression" which is accomplished by TRANSFER, not "squirt".

Two entirely different mechanisms.

D

Last edited:
Then why do they call them "inkjet printers" ?

Then why do they call them "inkjet printers" ?

Update joyce>"Definition of PRINTING" <

The art, process, or business of producing books, newspapers, etc., by impression from movable types, plates, etc.

"Impression" which is accomplished by TRANSFER, not "squirt".

D

define 'impression' - i can impress a substrate / surface by chemical etching ...

Chemical milling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can impress a surface / substrate with pressurized air - you have heard of sandblasting, yes ?

http://www.rayzist.com/Assets/PDFs/Phototechniquesv1.1.pdf

What are you on about here ? What is your message - is one printing process somehow 'bad' or 'defective' than another ?

Or are you just some type of person who owns the rights to the word "printing" and you want some licence fee if someone impinges an image on some surface using some other method than offsetting from some plate like thing ?

I an flummoxed - and and as I worked for a printer that offered heatset offset and gravure, and have done wood cuts and intaglio printing back in the 70's - i think i know what printing is, and have gotten my 'hands dirty' doing it.

At 59, I now work with software developers for print automation systems, and do not care what or how the printing system places images on paper, plastic, metal or egs for that matter ( yes, they "print" on eggs - all the time - is this somehow not define as printing because noting touches the egg but the ink ?

Rottweil Automatic Egg Inkjet Printer - Buy Egg Inkjet Printer Product on Alibaba.com

Of course is he talking about the Landa NanoInk, but for some reason he's afraid to say it out loud.

From the sheer volume of messages he's writing about it, I'd reckon he's completely obsessed with it, and maybe wants to work at Landa. I'd root for him - it appears he knows something very basic that all the chemists, physicists and engineers working there don't know.

Schnitzel you prove one intelligent man with that statement.

I am rooting for it, it would be very refreshing for something like this to work.

However, as I have pointed out, it has much to overcome for what man has endeavored to date in the form of progress. Just please realize that.

Go Nano!

D Ink Man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back