Printing Mirafoil

Seagull

Hello all, I hope some one can help out with some tips on offset printing Mirafoil with a Cyrel plate. We are doing testing with about 50% coverage on a 40" sheet and in order to get a nice solid coat down we are experiencing some doubling effects around the edges of shapes and inside reverse text which makes the text look smaller than it should be. Last test I pushed back the reverse text because the coating seemed to be filling in like I said above, is there a standard on how much push back should created. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Seagull,

Perhaps less back exposure and a longer post exposure would help. (More relief with a harder surface).

Just to let you all know I am in prepress, I am just trying to find out as much as I can, I will get back about the anilox roller and I guess I will have to talk to my cyrel plate supplier about making the plate as per Jinthebay explained, I will get back soon, Thanks.

I've done tests with Henkel, we had some interesting findings regarding anilox and plate type. Anilox is crucial and what your describing sounds like the Anilox BCM is too high resulting in a raised edge around your mirafoil. So, as Cornishpastythighs is asking, what anilox are you using in terms of BCM, engrave type and the type of Cyrel you are using?

I got some answers,
We are using 150 anilox roller and the BCM is 11.7, Our cyrel plate is a Dupont Digital Fast .045.
Can some one tell me how the BCM works for an anilox roller.

Seagull, The best combination we found for our press was a 6 BCM Hex Cut using Cyrel DPU or DPR. Dupont Cyrel has varying durometers and you may want to consider this by choosing the appropriate Digital Fast Plate Type. The information provided by Heidelberg Guy explains how an anilox works and the first part of the document focuses on Hexagonal cut cells but calls it something else in the document. We tried tri-helical as well but found it wasn't good while screening the Mirafoil. We tried 8, 10 and 12 BCM on hex and 4, 8, 12, 14 BCM on tri-helical. Henkel has documented best practices and I think a lot of the information on appropriate Anilox's etc... is in there.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I am now looking at having some testing done with a different cyrel plate and will have litho try a different anilox roller with a smaller BCM, I will get back about as soon as testing is done.

Seagull, Ultra Ultra crucial to get rid of that "Halo" is anilox pressure ( stripe ), to the blanket ( Cyrel ) cylinder, and minimum Back pressure or squeeze. KISS squeeze and KISS stripe

All good solutions ,also proper anilox roller speed is important
if you have a variable speed drive roller , experiment with different speeds

Does anyone know of an Aqueous based coating like Mirafoil?

We see quite a few wacky things come through the shop and I have yet to see a water based coating that is similar to MiraFoil. I doubt it would even be viable considering you'd need something to hold the extremely tiny metallic particles. What would happen if most of the stuff (water) that the particles were dispersed in evaporated? - They would rub right off and you would lose any possibility of adhesion in regards to ink and the UV coating applied over the top to provide the high gloss.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back