Printing Quotes-maybe a new sub-forum?

AP90

Hey guys, I've been thinking about this, and can realize how quickly it could get out of control. But sometimes there's those jobs where your just not sure if your pricing it right, or at least I'm not sometimes. And I feel like some other small shops might have this problem every now and then.

I was just wondering what everyone thought about a place where we could put up a job that we quoted And see if we're on par with others. I realize this could open up a door for people to try and advertise their businessss, ect, but maybe we could find a way for it to work. Thoughts?

I like the idea especially when you have something that is very custom or unique and you can't compare it to any of the online cookie cutters. And pricing is a huge animal with lots of theories and complications.

I'm up for it. I'll make a commitment to review one quote a week.

I will probably occasionally throw in a "message from my sponsor" without mentioning names... after all, I'm doing it with company resources on company time. But it will be brief, truthful, and hopefully not too mercenary. I'm a grownup.

[SNIP] But sometimes there's those jobs where your just not sure if your pricing it right, or at least I'm not sometimes. [SNIP]
I was just wondering what everyone thought about a place where we could put up a job that we quoted And see if we're on par with others.[SNIP]

I doubt it would be very helpful. There's no price parity with printing and there are many factors that form the basis for a quote that have little or nothing to do with the hard cost to produce it.

I doubt it would be very helpful. There's no price parity with printing and there are many factors that form the basis for a quote that have little or nothing to do with the hard cost to produce it.

Well said Gordo.

Besides, pricing will vary greatly depending on your current equipment mix.

Examples:

A shop that only has a 28" press can not compete with a shop that has a 40" press. The 40" press shop can run it cheaper because they can get more up on a sheet.
Neither of the above can compete pricewise with a shop running a continous feed roll-to-roll web press.
Some shops can do complicated perpendicular perfs right off the press, other shops have to do it as a separate function on a die-cut machine.
etc., etc.

I'm sure there is more than one 40" press owner on this forum. Besides, there is more to print estimating than just comparing apples to oranges. Budgeted Hourly Rates can be tricky, someone might need help.

Your right, there are a lot of factors that go into production cost. But it is still helpful for many people to know what others might be charging. I bet some of the other printers in my area might be scratching their head when they loose a quote to me. I can do a lot of things for cheaper. But I've scratched my head a few times wondering how I lost a bid. Maybe I got greedy, maybe not. But it would be nice to know

Your right, there are a lot of factors that go into production cost. But it is still helpful for many people to know what others might be charging. I bet some of the other printers in my area might be scratching their head when they loose a quote to me. I can do a lot of things for cheaper. But I've scratched my head a few times wondering how I lost a bid. Maybe I got greedy, maybe not. But it would be nice to know

Just ask your customer why you lost the work to your competitor. Very often they'll tell you if it was price or, more typically, some other reason.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back