Printing Tabs - Straight or Reverse

ReproElectroProspero

When printing documents with tabs on your digital machines, which kind of tab style do you prefer?

This has become a recent debate in our shop. Some say that reverse tabs are the best, while others say that straight tabs are the best.

In my experience, it doesn't really matter, but I was curious if there was a prevailing opinion on the issue.

For coherence when printing, reverse tabs are best, as it produces tabs that are in logical order when evaluating print output. I typically print them "per bank of 5".

However, when a project is not a full bank of tabs, I think that starts to make less sense, and have wanted to order non-collated tabs at times, as I have, from projects that had some non-full bank sets of tabs, a lot of tabs in the 1 and 2 positions (which are also the 4 and 5 positions), and only full sets with the 3 position. It have to cannibalize a lot of full sets to get that middle tab.

I think what makes the most sense is to order a bunch of reverse-collated tabs, and a hefty supply of middle tabs, but I have not yet done that.

Last edited:
I don’t normally run precut tabs these days, but the prevailing need for one direction of the other was often dictated by which machine or paper drawer I intended to feed from.

When printing documents with tabs on your digital machines, which kind of tab style do you prefer?

This has become a recent debate in our shop. Some say that reverse tabs are the best, while others say that straight tabs are the best.

In my experience, it doesn't really matter, but I was curious if there was a prevailing opinion on the issue.
If I print them from the bypass tray the printer wants reverse collate. From tray 2 or 3 it's forward collate.

Beyond this I don't see how it makes any real difference though

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back