Printing unattended

As my name implies I am an expert at what I do, that is what I do to support my family. But I am also involved in Digital as well and Mailing/ Pre Press equipment and I embraced that work flow many years ago. I have updated bar code/ line readers and the software they require also. I see the documents these machines stuff into envelopes and all the data they contain, much of which is sensitive if you catch my drift. This information should never be left unattended. We as printers owe that much to help safe guard such information. Not just go home while it is running and count the dollar signs.

Thankfully the companies I deal with are secure and they have met certain guidelines that are far beyond common sense, lol. I think any state or federal bid for mailing services requires that. Maybe some people are too small to know that.
I am also very well versed in the Linux/Windows operating systems and a current beta tester for Adobe products, including the cloud.

Are you assuming that everything we(the members in this thread) run on digital is a variable mailer with social security numbers? I would say only 10% of my digital color printing is mailing or personalized. Additionally I would say only 1% of ANY of my work has included sensitive personal information.

I don't think my customer who is having us print a couple hundred training manuals is going to care that we printed it at night to meet their deadline without an operator in the building.

Last edited:
Murphy's Printing Law says that the minute you leave the building with the machine running...

You fill in the rest. So many delightful possibilities.

Never fails, the press will run out of toner the second I walk out the door.

-Sev

:) I think a little levity on this topic is in order here (true story):

Ever noticed how some machines seem to have their own "personality"? Had one once that would jam every time I turned my back on it to stack the sheets on the work table behind me. Now, if I stood there and kept staring at the printer, it would run beautifully, not one jam. Turn my back to stack, ---- paper jam. Got to where I would play the game we all grew up with "1-2-3-Redlight!" trying to fool it. I would fake like I was going to turn around, but, then quickly face the machine again. It would not jam. Turn around to stack -- jam. Had to figure out how to reposition the work table so that I was always facing the machine to get the job completed. The others in the office figured that I had finally snapped and gone insane.........

Then, some machines will run flawlessly ----- right up until the final 100 sheets or so. They kind of "sense" that the job is almost over. In the words of Lee Corso..."Not so fast, there kimosabe...". "Just wanted to make sure you knew who really controls who, here..." LOL :)

-Best

MailGuru

We have a Hamada RS34 that would run great until I tried to run to the restroom. Then it would jam. Every g*d d**n time!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back