Problem solved, but why?

buckeye

Hello all,

Was real close to posting this issue in the Preps forum but have since figured it out. We have 2 Macs, a G5 and a G4 (Tiger 10.4.11), that work off of a Windows 2000 Server. Both have Preps 5.1.5. We keep our Marks and Templates folder on the server so both mac computers are accessing the same up to date templates. Both versions of Preps were not seeing all of the templates that were in the Marks and Templates folder. You could see them from the server side and the Mac side but Preps itself could not. Thought i could copy the Marks and Templates folder locally on the Mac to see if that would help, but halfway through the copy it kept saying "This file already exists". I was able to copy it to the local hard drive of the server and then back to the partitioned volume and now everything is back to normal.

Anybody have any idea what file was possibly corrupt? Was thinking the .DS Store file might have something to do with it but that's just a guess.

Erik

Hey Erik
I haven't used Preps in a few years, but I do remember having similar problems when there were too many items in the templates and marks folder. We had a ton of custom marks, and I would start seeing things disappear randomly. Once I cleaned out some of the obsolete templates and marks, the problems went away.

B

How are you mounting your server?

How are you mounting your server?

I find that Preps on the mac needs to mount on by afp if you mount by SMB protocol you will get erros, I have nothing to prove it, just my experience.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back