Problem With Network

kjacobson

After a server restart our MAC Clients are getting this error (see attached). We use the clients on the PC's but not the MAC's.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 214
I got it, for some reason the Mac's lost the host file of the Agfa server. I added the IP and the AXServer in the terminal and the client started right up. Strange that all macs lost it at the same time.

There's no reason that you should have to add the Apogee Server's IP address to your hosts file. DNS should be able to resolve this just as fast and reliably. If it can't, then there's a real DNS problem that is probably manifesting itself in other areas.

Our Macs are 10.5.8. Again this happened at the same time on all the Macs after I restarted the Apogee Server. Strange, but its working now. I know with the Heidelberg PrintReady system you need to add the PrintReady Server to the Macs host file. I did the same for the Agfa server and it came back online.

I'd have someone check out your DNS server. You should be able to set a DHCP reservation for your Apogee server and a DNS entry for it. It makes it infinitely easier to manage once it's set up correctly.

This would work but knowing that certain Mac Operating systems suffer this problem because of the switching of how the DNS is discovered makes all the difference.

A script file would work and eliminate any DNS issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back