problem with UV coating on a digital printer

RafalWM

I had some problems with coating SRA3 sheets from a digital press. The areas where there was more ink were ok, but the rest "soaked in". Do you guys have techniques of getting the whole area evenly done? It was on Xerox Colotech paper. Could the paper be an issue or maybe it's a matter of using a different UV coating machine? It works fine on our offset jobs, but digital printing work is fairly new to us.

What machine do you have. We have a Xerox 700 and UV won't dry well on any sheets (scratched off) and Lamination peels of unless it's a thick, digital glue type (thick and tacky).

I've have succesfully coated prints out of the Xerox 700 with a Duplo UV Coating machine.

UV Coating for Digital Printers

UV Coating for Digital Printers

We can be of service to you, we offer a series of odor-free UV coatings formulated specifically for coverage over digitally printed substrates. We have successfully coated over digitally printed inks from the following manufacturers: Xerox, HP, Kodak, Epson, Roland and Canon.

You may reach Rhino at 866-601-6241 or Welcome To Rhino Performance Products

What machine do you have. We have a Xerox 700 and UV won't dry well on any sheets (scratched off) and Lamination peels of unless it's a thick, digital glue type (thick and tacky).

I have a Toshiba 5520C. However I've tried prints from some production Xerox units and the result was the same.

The best solution is to let the "solvent" in the ink fully evaporate before the UV coating is applied. Based on their formulations, this could be hours or days, every ink manufacturer formulates differently and their formulations will react to UV coatings in their respective way.

Rhino Performance Products offers a line of UV coatings that are ODOR-FREE, available in high gloss, satin and matte finishes. You can contact us at 866-601-6241 or Welcome To Rhino Performance Products

the best solution is to let the "solvent" in the ink fully evaporate before the uv coating is applied. Based on their formulations, this could be hours or days, every ink manufacturer formulates differently and their formulations will react to uv coatings in their respective way.

Rhino performance products offers a line of uv coatings that are odor-free, available in high gloss, satin and matte finishes. You can contact us at 866-601-6241 or welcome to rhino performance products

who has days with the way jobs have to get out the door
if i did that i lose a ton of business.

UV Problems

UV Problems

The UV "OIL" mixture sounds to be the problem. What type of UV machine do you have? The spread time may be too long. Try speeding up the UV machine and make sure you turn off any IR heat you are using. If still a problem the companies that manufacture the oil may be of help. I know mine will make custom oils. His company is Amalagamated at 631-391-4577. Ask for Frank. If you need further assistance email me at [email protected].

We have also had problems with the same issues off our Igens. It has to do with the fuser oil, we found that of the 2 options the older type of oil allowed for a wider range of not only film lam and coating but the ability to tab seal direct mail pieces. You might want to try that.

I had some problems with coating SRA3 sheets from a digital press. The areas where there was more ink were ok, but the rest "soaked in". Do you guys have techniques of getting the whole area evenly done? It was on Xerox Colotech paper. Could the paper be an issue or maybe it's a matter of using a different UV coating machine? It works fine on our offset jobs, but digital printing work is fairly new to us.

Your problem most likely is the UV Coating. The Fuser Oils and Toners creat the issue.
I have a coating and would like to send you a sample to try or you may send me samples and I will test them with the proper coating. Please contact me so we could discuss the type of Coater you are using and the other parameters of the application.
[email protected]
Thanks,

Coating being absorbed

Coating being absorbed

You must keep in mind that UV Coating lays on top of a sheet V.S water based coating that gets absorbed into the sheet. So making sure the UV coating has a nice surface to sit on top of is very important. The reason it absorbs into the paper is because it's not a coated stock or not enough of a coated stock. It will however sit on top of the toner because the toner becomes the surface instead of the paper. Because you are going to UV Coat anyways you can begin using a cheaper C1S or C2S and not worry about adhesion of the toner because you are going to seal the whole image to the sheet with the UV Coating.

There is also the question of the type of coating you are using. A higher viscosity coating will help with this problem as well. Tec Lighting sells a wide array of UV Coatings that will work with the Xerox 700 and almost any other digital press.

[email protected]
714-529-5068

How come when we UV coat Hp indigo inks, it lays down even, but when a customer brings in a job that was printed with toner inks, it doesn't want to lay down even? We have a screen type of UV coater, doing flood covrage on sheets

We have a problem with a customer printing on a Kodak M700. When they use a gloss UV varnish, it works perfectly, but when they use a Matt Varnish, it dries but can then be scratched off. Any thoughts?

We have a problem with a customer printing on a Kodak M700. When they use a gloss UV varnish, it works perfectly, but when they use a Matt Varnish, it dries but can then be scratched off. Any thoughts?

Check with the manafacture you get the coating from, we had the same problem, we were using the wrong kind of UV for digital inks.

Your having adhesion problems because of the sheets dyne level has changed from the toner. You have to match the right coating for your sheet. You can send us samples and we test them and match them up to a coating that gets you a gloss level and the adhesion needed.

Send samples or request to [email protected]
Thanks,

UV

UV

When UV coating, is there an IR dryer being used? I'm not familiar with the Kodak. Surface scratching means the UV oil is sitting on top of the toner. The UV oil might be the problem, but sounds more like a IR problem.

Is the SRA3 sheet clay coated? Your experience is normal when you try coating uncoated (not clay coated) sheets. The UV coating is absorbed by the uncoated sheet. Since UV coating is surface cured, it will cure the coating on top of the inks. If you run the same shee through the UV coater 3 times, you will see that the unprinted portion will have UV coating on it.

mannyc

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back