Problems on alcohol free press, ph rising ??

Hi JohnyPrint,
I have been dealing with this problem ever since I´ve started work in offset-printing industry. Unfortunately, there is several reasons for this - therefore there is several solutions. First of all, you need a water analysis. You need to have the mineral (salts) content right. If the dH is low you can use additives, if it´s high you need softening additives, but it does not work so well. The best you can do is buy anR-O; as it was mentioned here before. As I see it, your problem should be a soft-water. The water in your system is "feeding" it self minerals from paper, ink and so on, bringing all scale of other chemicals with it. That can travel through out the whole system into the ink-bank, contaminating all the ink there is. Then after a water exchange your problem is quickly back. That´s the most common reason.
You might find a accurate numbers within your press-manual, but usually the values should be: chlorides - under 25 MG/L, nitrates under 20MG/L, sulphates under 50MG/L. The overal dH 8°dH-12°dH
We have almost the same press MR710 5/5 - with AtlasCopco- reelstand and today - our water ph is stable. We had to change a supplier of our fountain solution too, but the main reason was that the new one is coming, say, every second week to checkup on things, make some measurements by external devices, sending a report. That´s what I expect from my supplier.. Good luck
Michal

Last edited:
This is unnecessary, uncalled for and unprofessional.

If you have a problem with anyone on this forum, take it up with the administrator or just don't come here anymore.

EDIT: This post doesn't make sense to anyone reading it for the first time because the post it was responding to has been removed.

Last edited:
Well what can I say

Well what can I say

Hello nhprinter and not forgetting "inky"

I agree, with your comment BUT don't just address it only to me!

Regards, Alois

" Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean

you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar"

Edward R. Murrow

Professional Behavior

Professional Behavior

I want to remind everyone that this is a forum for seeking and dispensing professional knowledge to assist our fellow craft persons. We should all strive to uphold the highest personal and professional standards. Writing comments that are personal attacks speak more about the person making the attacks than the subject of the attacks.

Let's all keep in mind that no one wants to be involved in other people's petty quarrels. Such behavior detracts from what we are all trying to accomplish here. Some of us have more experience than others and sharing this experience with those who have less is what PrintPlanet is all about. So, I ask you all to please be both cordial and professional in your posts.
Thank you.

I may be a little slow, but I never took Alois's posts has having a go at me... Putting forth info that in some instances has been very helpful but in some cases not so helpful as it has been info from old technology.
Yes Alois has rebutted some of the stuff I have said but this is a matter of personal opinion.
I still stand by the fact that if the only thing that has changed in your factory is fountain solution and you suddenly get PH drift that you haven't had before then I'd be pointing my fingers at the new fount.
Todays standard of fountain solutions should keep PH very stable.. Heck I've even had chemical reps set up stuff who say they haven't checked/tracked PH for years as the PH with their product was remaining stable.

Hello LukeW

Thank you, all I do is try and give help and assistance to "Who ever is willing to learn"

Regards, Alois

sharing.jpg

http://moniqueneeley.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sharing-is-caring.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-W40_jRijwPc/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAF4/vynpl2kKIWw/s250-c-k/photo.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23700000/Sharing-is-Caring-the-winchesters-23785968-900-700.jpg

Have you fixed this problem?
I think that you are most probably right in thinking that the problem has to do with the filler in the paper. The paper manufacturers are using calcium carbonate as a filler which can and does leach out of the stock during the run, and begins to neutralize the dampening fluid.
The only way to combat it that I know of is to dump the contents of the tank. Some people do this every 3 days and have the tank situated over a drain, they have the waste pipe stuck down there and just open the valve under the tank and let it go. It's quicker than using the pump. Chuck in a couple of buckets of fresh water and pump it through the system and then refill it. Should not take too long. Can you have the pH of the paper you use checked out just to satisfy yourselves that the stuff is not hugely alkaline.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back