Problems with Ricoh c900

D

dgraves

We are having huge problems with our c900 since install. We are a commercial printer and we are constantly switching different types of digital stock and have problems with the toner sticking to the sheets. We try every type of setting for paper types/ weights etc. to no avail. If we do get a correct setting it is usually after trying 5-10 different settings. Once we switch to a new setting we can't run one sheet to tell if it worked because the temperature doesn't get up to the desired temperature until you run 10-20 sheets. So this can take quite a long time just to run a digital job.

I am wondering of others are having the same issues. Obviously, since they came out with the c901 (that does not have oil) almost immediately after the c900 launch there must be a problem with this model.

Any responses are appreciated. I am very unhappy with this purchase.

well we have so many issues with our machine I dont know where to start. We are in the process of having it removed as we have about 18 service calls per month on this POS.

How is it being removed? Is Ricoh bringing in the c901? Or is Ricoh taking it back and walking away from it?

How did you get Ricoh to do this?

I second the POS description of the machine. We've had our 900 since last May and have had the toner adhesion problems but we also have laser diodes going bad (same ones multiple times), trays breaking, constant errors with random restarts, fusers needing rebuilt multiple times, streaking, etc and no resolution as of yet. The machine is constantly down for days at a time. We don't even run the machine hard. One shift at about 50,000 impressions a month. Ikons response is to have a Ricoh rep coming out in the next two weeks but I am not holding my breath.

I too would like to hear how you are getting out of this lease. Response would be greatly appreciated.

I have had issues since the day they installed it last year now as of today they are replacing it with a 901 thay have put about 40000 dollars into this machine to fix and cant big POS if you ask me!!! why do they spend so much to repair no one could answer and the man hours wow now they have a tech fly in to see what he can do. Funny he couldnt fix it before. but anyways my 901 will be here next week.

I've spoken with several former owners of the 900 that have turned back their units. When asked how did they manage to get out of their lease, they all have told me that after documentation of all down time and service calls, and loss of revenue, they presented it to their Ikon reps. along with a friendly letter from a law firm to show them that they were tired of the machines not being able to operate properly and Ikon/Ricoh seemed to have a new outlook on their situation and took the machines back. Bottom line, if the machine does not work and you are not getting anywhere dealing with local dealerships or representatives have your attorney write a letter and move up the leadership ladder and see what happens. Believe me, I hate attorneys with a passion, but, in this circumstance, use them!! Do what it takes to get satisfaction. We had a similiar situation with Xerox several years ago. It took many phone calls, a letter from an attorney to finally get someone in their regional office to get them to stand behind a machine which we owned but never functioned properly. Good luck!

Ouch! We've had ours since last July and, overall, love it. There's a matrix you have to follow that indicates what settings are necessary for which paper, it's kind of a pain, but not a dealbreaker.

For the record, I was dead set against Ricoh when the powers that be decided to buy it. Happily, my concerns (thus far) were unfounded.

I guess I'd better add to my last post that we ended up buying a C901 from Ikon and have had it for about 4 months know and LOVE IT!! What a great machine. This is from a guy who never cared much for Ricoh machines. We looked very hard at a 900 but never cared for the fuser oil.

After suffering through an Oce CPS900 (oil based fuser), I was concerned about what we were getting into. Honestly, the oil is a non issue. Though, if someone offered to swap ours out with a 901, I certainly wouldn't object.

running 900 and 901

running 900 and 901

We are having huge problems with our c900 since install. We are a commercial printer and we are constantly switching different types of digital stock and have problems with the toner sticking to the sheets. We try every type of setting for paper types/ weights etc. to no avail. If we do get a correct setting it is usually after trying 5-10 different settings. Once we switch to a new setting we can't run one sheet to tell if it worked because the temperature doesn't get up to the desired temperature until you run 10-20 sheets. So this can take quite a long time just to run a digital job.

I am wondering of others are having the same issues. Obviously, since they came out with the c901 (that does not have oil) almost immediately after the c900 launch there must be a problem with this model.

What are the specific papers?

Fixes for Toner Adhesion and Cracking

Fixes for Toner Adhesion and Cracking

The issue with toner adhesion is easily fixable. Assuming that you are using a toner friendly paper (you ARE using a toner friendly paper, right?) simply dial-up the paper weight on both the drawer setting AND the Fiery (they need to match in order to run). There is NO ISSUE with needing to wait for anything to warm up, the printer adjusts the distance from the fuser to the paper rather than the temperature of the fuser. The warm-up period is all about bringing the fuser up to temp.

NOTE: If I'm folding against the grain I bump the stock weight up two (2) notches in order to ensure the toner does not flake. It might crack depending on coverage, but you don't end up with unsightly chunks of toner falling off as you would at lower weight settings.

Mark H

I second the POS description of the machine. We've had our 900 since last May and have had the toner adhesion problems but we also have laser diodes going bad (same ones multiple times), trays breaking, constant errors with random restarts, fusers needing rebuilt multiple times, streaking, etc and no resolution as of yet. The machine is constantly down for days at a time. We don't even run the machine hard. One shift at about 50,000 impressions a month. Ikons response is to have a Ricoh rep coming out in the next two weeks but I am not holding my breath.

I too would like to hear how you are getting out of this lease. Response would be greatly appreciated.

This is NOT a problem with the machine, but an issue with [poor] technical support. Let us know if the Ricoh rep gets it working.

Mark H

Update

Update

The Ricoh rep came and went. The machine was up and running for 3 days then went down with a bad yellow unit. That was fixed and immediately as the tech left the machine crashed after running 10 sheets. It would go through a full restart and do the exact same thing again after running 10 sheets. 5 days down and 10 different parts replaced (I stopped asking after 5) and it finally is running. They have agreed to replace the machine with a C901. We should be getting it in a few weeks. Hopefully we can make it until then without any major downtime.

Anywhere from 25-50. Sometimes he waits while we run a job. They hauled away our 900 and the C901 arrived today. The software engineer will be here tomorrow. Can't wait. No more fuser oil!

Oh, geez; 25-50 isn't even enough to warm it up.

Test runs on production equipment should approach or exceed half a case, preferably on a job you have waiting so there's no waste. Insist the tech hangs out and waits while you check it out thoroughly. Had an Oce a few years ago that wouldn't show symptoms of a particular jam until 4k clicks (and then it jammed progressively more often). Burned many cases of 20lb chasing that one down.

My KM 6500 lease runs out in a year and I've begun to investigate replacements. I like the KM7000 which the rep said would be my replacement unit based on my impressions per month. The Ricoh 901 was the only machine that made me stop in my tracks and go back to really look at it and ask questions. At this point, with 13 months to go, it's either Ricoh 901 or KM 7000. My 6500 is getting tired. Reg is getting worst and any sheet in any tray is running skewed. A real bitch on 2 sided work. Their are some great VDP sw that Ricoh is offering with a 901 that's intriguing. We do a fair amount of VDP and that's what I'm really interested in.

dgraves... It sounds like either the technical support your getting from IKON is pretty poor or the media your using is just not compatible with the machine.

There a numerous solutions and improvements available, most of them were available soon after product Launch in 2008/9 it's now 2011, so the IKON guys should be aware of them...

The maximum fusing temperature of the fuser was increased to 205 degrees (but this needs to be adjusted by a Tech) and some of the default paper settings on the LCD display would need to be reprogrammed (adjusted in SP mode)

RICOH have also developed a Media Catalogue system (media setting tool) that is a software based solution that runs run from the LCD display. It comes with a Java tool that allows you to programme and adjust fusing temps, transfer currents, fusing speeds, etc.. and create your own profiles for the media you actually use. It also comes with a large (100's) library of pre tested media and engine settings that is updated by RICOH.

There is also a modified fuser available, this improves fusing ability on thick coated stocks.

There is also a buffer bypass option that increases the paper path distance after fusing which cools the media preventing "toner sticking" on jobs left on the finisher. This unit is highly recommended by RICOH if your printing on coated stocks (unless your printing small volumes and removing work from the finisher at frequent intervals)

Have IKON discussed any of these solutions with you? if not, you should ask them about them or tell IKON to talk to RICOH tech directly.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm much of a help, but I spoke to local Ricoh techs over here in Netherlands and heard of problems with the C900 using the Oil Fusing Units. They knew this issue from the beginning and after a while they introduced the C901 which is not using the Oil Fusing Units.
Those issues are mostly with duplex printing.

In the mean time they've worked on a solution in Japan for the C900 and was released last week, as far as I understood them, they can switch the fusingunit with a new different one that will solve most of the problems.

I've learned that using the right paper is a very important matter too, they advised me in using Color Copy Paper from Mondi, they are quite reasonable priced and are specially designed for the Ricoh PRO series. This paper takes less oil than other paper.

Atleast that is what I've been told. Hope it will help you.

Best Regards,
Dennie

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back