Production Scheduling Procedure

We have been using Trello for 2 years now. Works like a champ, drag and drop jobs around, add notes. I even have the app on my phone. Best thing since sliced bread!!

We have been using Trello for
2 years now. Works like a champ, drag and drop
jobs around, add notes. I even have the app on my phone. Best thing since sliced bread!!

Craig can you please post pictures of how you are using it?

I'm playing around with this trello, amazing recommendation. I am assuming each card represents a specific job. How would you handle combo's or ganging specific jobs together?

Would it be better based on individual job or individual print run as basis?

well, please keep in mind that it is not a print industry tailored solution so there is no specific answer, if you have a gang, give it a name, call it a "Jan10 business cards gang" or how ever you can differ it from other gangs and handle it trough the steps.... or agree with everyone to call a gang by the job that it is on top left corner, for example, or where ever your imposition software throws the first job in to it....
I hope Heidelberg won't come after you for the member name you have taken :)

UnlimitedBT/Craig, what do you do when a job is being output to plates, but part of it is in print? or if a job in print and part of it went to folding? When playing with trello the only way i could think of to get around this was to create a board for each job... Am I mistaken? I also found out that we can better tailor trello for print using it's API... We can create for example a program that would ask the printed the type of job, and the signature count, then set it up in trello on submit. I would surely need someone to give me the specs to develop something like this. If anyone is willing, please let me know.

By default, Trello appears to be more of a tracking board than a department/resource timeline based scheduler.

Stephen Marsh

UnlimitedBT/Craig, what do you do when a job is being output to plates, but part of it is in print? or if a job in print and part of it went to folding? When playing with trello the only way i could think of to get around this was to create a board for each job... Am I mistaken? I also found out that we can better tailor trello for print using it's API... We can create for example a program that would ask the printed the type of job, and the signature count, then set it up in trello on submit. I would surely need someone to give me the specs to develop something like this. If anyone is willing, please let me know.
Hi, in my opinion, you should operate within one board otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose. You should create the columns named in correspondence with desired steps and created/drag&drop cards from one step to another. If you want, you can invite me to one of your boards, I could create the columns for you than you can delete me out of it or create another board using the one I made as a benchmark... Let me know.
Roman.

By default, Trello appears to be more of a tracking board than a department/resource timeline based scheduler.

Stephen Marsh
Hi Stephen, originally it was proposed as a replacement of a hand written board with magnets or similar.... but you can add timelines, set priorities, higlite the cards with 8 different colors that correspond to whatever you choose them to. Oh as far as your name I've got a good one for you:

Attachments

• 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 234
We use scheduler exclusively. As a production manager I like it so I know where jobs are without having to tour the whole shop to find things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere in every pre/press room there is a peg board or a magnetic board with tags. I've never seen a shop completely rely on electronic scheduling. A few shops have had a scheduler who walks around with a clip board checking a jobs status in different parts of the plant. Department managers would come and "observe" the board, but never touch it, so that one person had the definitive answer. The shop I worked at worked much like that. If the regular "scheduler" was out for some reasons someone else took over and moved the board.

For what ever reason a board like that is able to communicate to everyone what they need to know as compared to a web page with the same info. I don' know what it is or why it is but that old manual way always works. Always...

You may check print scheduler at http://www.penta-force.com

gave me a lot of help
we currently use google docs spreadsheet to organize our floor and make sure its accessible to everyone across the company

I built a simple electronic schedule system in Google Apps. It is actually very easy using Google Sites and a To Do list. You can set up the list with as many columns as you like for Date, Job number, Customer, job status, etc., then use text fields, check boxes and drop-down menus to set info for any given job. Does not integrate with our estimating system, which could be a drawback if you have very high volume, because it involves re-entering data.

We switched from a Google Docs spreadsheet to kanbanflow.com . We are using the free version BTW. We setup different colums for all the departments that we have (New Jobs, Prepress, Digital, Offset, Large Format, Bindery, DONE) and then you have color coded task and each color we are using refer to the status of the job (white= new job, green = in process, red = on hold , purple = waiting for files, yellow = complete)

I hope you find this helpful.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back