QM 46-2 PU 2 autoplate rollers scratching plate

white rabbit

Hello all,

The wheels that hold the plate to the cylinder during insertion are scratching the plate. I have cleaned them, set the gap on the spring to 5mm, and they contact the cylinder all the time. The stops were replaced 2 years ago, and don't appear to be worn that much. Is there another adjustment i'm missing ?

Any thoughts are appreciated

Hello all,

The wheels that hold the plate to the cylinder during insertion are scratching the plate. I have cleaned them, set the gap on the spring to 5mm, and they contact the cylinder all the time. The stops were replaced 2 years ago, and don't appear to be worn that much. Is there another adjustment i'm missing ?

Any thoughts are appreciated

What unit are you talking about? PU-1 , PU-2 or both? What is contacting the cylinder all the time? The rubber drive wheels or the plastic wheels?

Stan ipsqm46.com 720-285-9485
PS: I have numerous new and used parts for your press!

What unit are you talking about? PU-1 , PU-2 or both? What is contacting the cylinder all the time? The rubber drive wheels or the plastic wheels?

Stan ipsqm46.com 720-285-9485
PS: I have numerous new and used parts for your press!

PU 2 is the one in question. The plastic wheels contact the cylinder when i insert the plate, which scratches it. I am wetting the plates before putting them on. the plastic rollers contact the plate while printing also, leaving a line in the print.

First make sure your have removed all ink from the entire area particularly the metal rods that extend down from the plate loader.
It is common for ink to be thrown in to this area or deposited when loading or unloading inkedup plates. Second it is good practice not to leave the wheel mechanism out of the press while printing. Third if you leave the mechanism in the press just rotate it so that the wheels are not near the plate. Most likely your scratching is coming from semidried ink hanging down from one of the cross bars in the second
unit and not the wheels if they are clean. Pull all of the rollers and check all of the crossbars in both the ink and water systems, the cleanup attachment, etc.

I used to use plate finisher on both sides before loading plates and then wipe them down after mounting. I never left the wheel mechanism in the press while running, only when mounting and that kept it clean as a whistle. I hated pu2, didn't seem as easy going as pu1. Always ejected plates manually from pu2 (no wheels) Had some plates get mangled too many times, hated that sound.

Try inserting the PU2 plate without the inserter unit in the press. You will have to advance the machine by hand till you get to the tail of the plate. Insert an allen wrench in the tail clamp hole and insert the tail of the plate into the clamp. This is cleaner if the unit is not inked up. This will prove it is the plate inserter mechanism causing your scratching.

Try inserting the PU2 plate without the inserter unit in the press. You will have to advance the machine by hand till you get to the tail of the plate. Insert an allen wrench in the tail clamp hole and insert the tail of the plate into the clamp. This is cleaner if the unit is not inked up. This will prove it is the plate inserter mechanism causing your scratching.

This is how i have been working. Im going to replace the stop plates again and see what happens...

I had this problem for ages on and off, but only with Agfa plate material.

Mitsubishi seems to load better.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back