QM46-2 problems

CSimpson

I have had my QM46-2 for about two years and I have a few questions to see if other owners are having the same issues as me.

I have seen people on youtube run envelopes with no trouble; however, they are a royal pain for me. I am lucky if I can get a few hundred between jams. Am I doing something wrong or is what I am experience the normal way this machine runs envelopes? And yes I know it is not an envelope press.

I run poly 8mil plates and I get random registration problems in the first 500 sheets. The registration from side to side is fine, it is the registration from front to back that is the problem and it is not consistent. Is this the poly plates or do I have an issue somewhere?

I notice when I see the press on demo videos they creates stripes with the ink keys to show how precise you can control ink flow. Mine doesn't do this anymore. In fact in some areas it is impossible to cut off ink flow. Is there a setting that needs adjusting? If so is this something an operator can do or is it something for the mechanic?

ink strips, do you have the lever style or the knob style. lever style has a slit blad that creates the stipes. there is an adjustment for on these. but you could have dried ink under the blade on either system. if you take the blade off be carefull there is a caulk strip between the slitts.

registration could be many things Is the image moving color to color or just on the envelope.

feeding: pile height is critical. also take off your 3/2 way valve and clean it.

Most people running envelopes have the pile too high. Start with pile height as low as it will go then back off two full turns. Run vacuum around 8 and air low. Are you using the envelope attachments? The only one that truly works is the one that you can tilt the envelopes. As mentioned if the 3/2 valve has not been cleaned it could be turning the vacuum off at the wrong time. I like to run the forwarding rollers on the outer edges of the envelope. On a # 10 I run the wheels outside the inner three sucker tubes. Your gripper to tail registration could be the feeding issue. I believe Special features 19 will set back the long and short sheet shut offs by like 5 mm. It would be a good idea to shut this off as well.

You have to pull the main cover on the gear side(non op). You disconnect the cable going to the double sheet detector and use a phillips screw driver and remove four screws. 3/2 valve is just behind the double sheet detector with two air hoses going to it. Hold the cover tight it is spring loaded when removing the final screw. Use a needle nose pliers and pull the plunger assembly out. Make sure you insert it the way you removed it. If it has not been cleaned recently there will be black gunk all over. Wipe it down good and run a rag through the hole the plunger came out of. You will need to use a non hardening grease to lube then reassemble.

The ink keys are the lever style. Is this adjusted by the allen screws under the ink fountain?

To be more specific about the registration issues I am having it is unit two's image that drift from lead to tail. You can chase registration when this happens; however, if you get a jam it moves back towards the lead edge, though not a whole lot. When you start again it will eventually drift again so you end up chasing through most of the run on small jobs. The most aggrivating part of this is it doesn't happen all the time.

lever style ink keys are adjusted by an allen screw under the lever.

the registration is probably overpacking. try removing .005 packing and see what happens.

also take off your 3/2 way valve and clean it.

depends on the year. our '97 has it but our '99 doesnt.
i think in either 98 or 99 they removed it in favor of a different system. (the same year they removed the extra solvent tank for the blanket washer)

The ink keys are the lever style. Is this adjusted by the allen screws under the ink fountain?

To be more specific about the registration issues I am having it is unit two's image that drift from lead to tail. You can chase registration when this happens; however, if you get a jam it moves back towards the lead edge, though not a whole lot. When you start again it will eventually drift again so you end up chasing through most of the run on small jobs. The most aggrivating part of this is it doesn't happen all the time.

sounds like either the craptastic poly plates are stretching on you or they aren't clamped in tight enough

It has nothing to do with the envelopes or the poly plates. We had this issue with our QM 46/2. Earlier designs had this as a design flaw. Also as part of this unit 1 probably prints longer then unit 2. We had heidelberg come in and fix this and the cost was about 4K dollars. It requires the removal of the Plate cylinders and a different type of gear installed. While running you have to keep doing vertical adjustments with unit two to get back into registration. One way to get around this is to make the image slightly lower or higher on the second unit. The registration drift is a wear spot near zero. Try trimming about 1/16 inch off the top of the plate and then repunch and see if this helps. To get fit from unit one to unit two might require about a 3 thousands pack behind the first plate.

QM46-2 problems

Try roughing up the back side of the poly plate with scotch brite (lightly) and wet both sides. The slight scratches and water will cause a slight suction to the cylinder and keep it from slipping.

I have a QM-2 that the pile stopped moving up. It worked yesterday fine and this morning it has quit working. I have turned the adjustment all the way in both directions and nothing happens. Any sugestions?
Louis

The crank you use to raise and lower the pile has a pile lock in it so when the handle is pushed in the pile will not go up. Could be the handle is pushed in. Try taking the handle off the press. If not that it could be that locking mechanism is stuck or maybe a spring broke on the weight bar that comes down on the stock.

If the print length is diff, the adj is done at PU-2 plt cyl. Does your PU-2 plt cyl gear O.S. have green grease fittings? They do need grease. If it does not or if it has not been greased, then that is where the gear needs replaced as mentioned by RGPW17100. When you run 8.5X11 20lb, go to SF68 and watch the feeder timming. Is it moving more than .3 of a degree. If so this will cause issues. Be sure to grease transport roller gear. Make sure you are not overpacked at the blanket. Blkt + plt + packing = .096" when running polly plates. Using the tan cup type suckers over the std sucker helps with more consistant feeding. There are a lot of things to discuss and everyone has been giving you good advice. Do all the checks that they have mentioned along with the few things that I have added. As for the ink fountain blade, the adj is at the top of the key, under the cover as mentioned. It is a 4mm, you should be very careful playing with thes as you may damage the blade and/or even the fountain roller. Close all keys with ink in fountain. Making small adj, open keys until you have some ink film on roller. Then start turning in screws, making little adj at a time, until all zones appear even and there is a slight color to the fountain roller, sort of florescent look.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back