QR code reduction

Drum

Does anyone have a suggestion for reducing the size of QR codes so they fit on business cards and printed material without dominating the piece?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Does anyone have a suggestion for reducing the size of QR codes so they fit on business cards and printed material without dominating the piece?.

Why not simply scale it to various sizes in your page layout application then print them out on a laser printer and test with a smartphone to determine the smallest size that will work?

best, gordon p

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply

Why not simply scale it to various sizes in your page layout application then print them out on a laser printer and test with a smartphone to determine the smallest size that will work?

best, gordon p

Paranoia. I'm not sure if all readers are the same. Also, I did try this and my phone could not read it at a significantly reduced size.

The rule of thumb these days is that a simple QR Code (i.e., one representing a reasonably short URL) should be at least 3/4" square, which will meet the needs of most smartphone cameras and code reader software. If you don't want to use bit.ly or some other URL shortener, you can purchase a short, random domain name -- or you can work with a company (like my client, Print 2D) that offers mobile subdomains and their corresponding printable, scan-able tags.

However, I realize this does not solve the dilemma for QR Codes containing contact data rather than mobile Web links. The more data you encode, the greater the code's pixel count. Shrinking these monsters down does increase the risk of reader failure -- but so does adding so much data that a smartphone camera can't cope.

I think we're facing two different adoption curves. For mobile Web access, QR Codes are at or near the tipping point in North America. For conveying other types of useful data -- like a vCard -- we're still at the mercy of handset manufacturers and their camera capabilities. We're also in the VERY early stages of code reader software. I'm still looking for the reader that will scan codes AND know what to do with them, regardless of what hardware I'm using.

Solutions for small QR Codes

Solutions for small QR Codes

I agree with John. Theree are two basic things you need to consider when making QR codes.
1. Amount of data
2. Distance from scanning device (business card or billboard)

How we solved it was to use a URL+encrypted number. This guarantees that irrespective of the amount of data or the kind of information you need to provide, the QR Code will always be the same type (size). On the receiving server the number is registered and associated with a specific task, like URL redirect or vCards or whatever.

It's good for everyone because once to test and find out just how much you can physically shink the size on paper so that it works best, then you have the correct size for all future QR codes on similar products and you just keep creating QR Codes knowing they will work well.

Hope this helps.

@ Drum - I do not this there is a hard and fast rule about the readability of a QR Code in the wild, as it is camera and image processing dependent, and as we know, all capture lighting conditionals and all smart phone camera and all image processing systems are not identical.

I have 2 QR Codes on the back of my Business Card, One for the web site of our flagship product , Compose Express Workflow - and the other that contains all of the contact data that is on my business card - you can view this on my blog -->

Michael Jahn's blog

I tested my code using several different phones, and was surprised to find success with most even when I reduced then to about the size of my thumbnail. There are other factors such as quiet space surrounding the QR Code, and of course - the lighting conditions, the speed of the camera phone lens/shutter, the image processing software used, etc...

Here is a good resource that might help you get you head around this;

2D QR-Code Barcode FAQ & Tutorial ~ IDAutomation

QR Codes are great, but they may indeed be replaced by some other technology in the near future. Great strides are being made on RFDI and thinks like Bokode which has been testing off-the-shelf camera on Bokodes that are only 2.5 microns from a distance of over 4 meters.

The Digital Nirvana » Blog Archive » Bokode, A New Imperceptible “Barcode”

Small QR Code in Japan pickup by special designed phone camera.
We have several project here use QR Code, all failed.
Finally we switched to use watermark, iPhone and Android phone can pickup the watermark easily, and give feature rich respond. Try Clic2C or WinkCode on iPhone and Android Phone, good user experience !

Email me if you would like to receive more information about watermark and promote print plus solution.

You can generate QR codes online here: QR Code Generator

best gordon p

Thanks Gordo, I had found this one where you can download a PDF of QR code:
Create QR Code Business Cards! Free meCard, vCard Business Card Creator

You can open the PDF in Illustrator where the QR code is vectors rather than pixels which I thought would be better although I have had problems getting them to scan when printed out. I think is because there is too much info when all fields on the business card are filled in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back