Quality of IPA

International Phonetic Alphabet ?

Have no idea how to test that, but I will be happy to test any India Pale Ale you would like me to test.

Alcohol !

Alcohol !

Hello Michael,

I congratulate you on your choice of Alcohol, a nice hoppy IPA (India Pale Ale) -

BUT I don't recommend IPA - Isopropanol Alcohol !!! an additive used in Lithographic Fountain Solutions.

Regards, Alois

There are three things you can evaluate on your own.
First mix the IPA with water about fifty percent. This mixture should be crystal clear after a second or two. If not, the IPA is contaminated (usually with some type of petroleum distillate).
Second, in a closed container, shake this mixture really hard. The mixture should not support a single bubble. If there is any foam at all, the IPA is contaminated with surfactant.
Third test requires a hydrometer, a glass instrument available from any scientific supply house, with the range centered on 0.8 (the specific gravity of IPA is 0.79). Measure the gravity of the straight IPA. If the gravity is lower than 0.79 the material is not IPA. If the gravity is higher than IPA, the material has been diluted with water. The higher the gravity, the higher the percentage of water.
The dilution of IPA is a common practice and often this is when the IPA is contaminated (a tank or pump used to mix or transfer the dilution containing some other product is usually the cause) although IPA can be contaminated in transport. The less you pay for your IPA, the more likely it is to be both diluted and contaminated.
Diluted alcohol runs just fine, though you need to run more of it. Contaminated alcohol should not be used, and should be returned to the supplier.

Thank you Dan for the info.....one more thing, what type of hydrometer do I need to measure the specific gravity?

Last edited:
Thanx for the link....Few more quetions....
If we have to check the IPA level in the fountain solution, we will use alcoholmeter or areometer, but what about the fountain solution additives and other contamination, will that not effect the reading on alcoholmeter?
If we are running IPA free, how will we check the dose of the IPA free fountain solution in the tank?

Your 'alcoholometer' reads specific gravity and should not be affected much by any sort of contamination short of a major influx of blanket or roller wash.
Depending on your dampening system, if you are able to run a one step alcohol replacement product you can monitor its concentration by conductivity.
Two part products are more involved, but not too challenging.

Specific gravity of the fountain solution effects the ipa % reading the alcohol hydrometer gives. There is a graph showing various fountain solution specific gravity points including % of dosed fountain solution, cross referensed with alcohol hydrometer reading versus real actual ipa level.
Eg fountain solution 1.2 specific gravity dose 3%. Alcohol doser 10%. The hydrometer may show 10% alcohol but in fact the true amount is 15% alcohol.
I will try find the graph.

Ipa

Ipa

Hello fellow Lithographers,

A PDF - that I hope you will find of interest and value.

" IPA Percentage in Water and Temperature Graph."

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• IPA percentage in Water - Temperature003.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 315
Graph on page 10

Attachments

• Fountain Solution Brochure.pdf
    717.6 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back