Quark 8.1 native transparency in PDF export?!

More like they are moving in the right direction now. Quark is still postscript based and most likely always will be. But at least now they are using PDFmarks and thats better than flattening. I don't think they will ever have support for imported transparency tho.

almaink,

You're right. Until Quark can pass through placed transparency into the PDF, they aren't there yet. But they are finally moving in the right direction. Also, it doesn't look like there a blend modes because, as you said, and the video says, this is still PostScript.

Wonder why Quark doesn't just move to PDF? Adobe gave it to ISO. It's ISO now.

Regards,

Don

I had a job that was 68 pages exported from Quark with live transparency. Came in at a hefty 3.2 gigabyte PDF. Customer FTP'd it to us over their not so fast connection. Took 16 hours to transmit.

DANG JOE!

That sucks!

I remember when I first used PDF export from Quark, I noticed this also.

This is why I choose to let Quark output it's huge PostScript, and then I distill in Distiller to PDF. The setting I changed in Distiller advanced joboption settings is I UNCHECKED 'Allow PostScript file to override Adobe PDF Setings'. This way, I get a PDF the same size Adobe would make it, with the compression and downsampling Adobe uses. It would be nice to know how much bigger one of Quark's new PDFs are: comparing PDF export from Quark to PS from Quark and letting Adobe distill to PDF.

Regards,

Don

Hi Joe

The Quark "Default PDF Output Style" settings will apply no compression to images, which leads to incredibly huge files. I bet your customer chose that option or settings based on that option.

In general live transparency should make for much smaller file sizes, since it's a much more efficient way to represent the data.

Our workflow is similar to what Don mentioned. I've got the Quark Prefs set to export to Postscript (with the Native Transparency option checked). Then I run them through Disitiller to make the PDF. It makes nice, compact,clean, rippable files. The only issue with this method is that you need to hand edit the Distiller .joboptions file to make it honor the transparency. It's not a big deal, just change the line that reads "/AllowTransparency false" to "/AllowTransparency true" in a text editor. This setting won't affect any other files that aren't using the PDFMark tags so it's safe to apply it to your general PDF settings.

Shawn

I suppose that is the settings they used. It was difficult enough enough just to get them to make a PDF.

About the "/AllowTransparency false" to "/AllowTransparency true" comment...wouldn't it already be flattened when creating the PS file before it ever gets to distiller?

About the "/AllowTransparency false" to "/AllowTransparency true" comment...wouldn't it already be flattened when creating the PS file before it ever gets to distiller?

Hi Joe

Nope, the transparency can remain live. It only works if you export to .ps like I mentioned and choose to export transparency natively in the PDF export settings. It won't work if you print to .ps using the print dialog.

In 8.1 Quark basically provides a tag around the transparent elements in the .ps stream that passes the information directly to Distiller. If you edit the joboptions like I mentioned, Distiller 6 and later will keep the live transparency when converting to PDF. I've been using it since Quark 8.1 came out and it's helped to avoid all sorts of flattening artifacts.

Shawn

Hi Joe

Nope, the transparency can remain live. It only works if you export to .ps like I mentioned and choose to export transparency natively in the PDF export settings. It won't work if you print to .ps using the print dialog.

In 8.1 Quark basically provides a tag around the transparent elements in the .ps stream that passes the information directly to Distiller. If you edit the joboptions like I mentioned, Distiller 6 and later will keep the live transparency when converting to PDF. I've been using it since Quark 8.1 came out and it's helped to avoid all sorts of flattening artifacts.

Shawn

Great info. Thanks. I learned something new today. :)

Shawn,

Thanks for the info. Do you use PDF/X-4 in Distiller, or a custom PDF joboptions? If so, which default joboptions was it based on?

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don

We set it up years ago, so it was originally based on PDF X-1a with the settings modified to allow live transparency in Acrobat 5 format and icc profile embedding turned off--since our workflow required no profiles at the time.

If I were doing it today, I would probably start with PDF X-4 modified to use our standard bleed and crop mark offsets.

Shawn

Thanks again Shawn.

Don

Hi Don

We set it up years ago, so it was originally based on PDF X-1a with the settings modified to allow live transparency in Acrobat 5 format and icc profile embedding turned off--since our workflow required no profiles at the time.

If I were doing it today, I would probably start with PDF X-4 modified to use our standard bleed and crop mark offsets.

Shawn

Just used the Native transparency feature for the first time yesterday with a Quark 7 file. Works great! No half vector half bitmap vector art when it tried to figure out the transparency.

p

I am having a terrible time with B&w Photoshop images and quark shadows. The B&W ad looks fine with native transparency until it is flattened. Then, any area that is contained transparency becomes a different shade of gray. CMYK elements look fine when flattened.

Can someone email me a settings file to try?

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

I tried that (this is pdf version 1.5 - right?) I also tried PDF X-1a.

Below is a link to some sample files, showing the problem. Can someone try flattening the native transparency file with their settings?

Thanks

Samples.zip

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back