Quark quack up

Mark

Anyone know a quick way to take a single wide page and make it two half pages in quark 8.5?

Idiot customer made as readers spreads and i need to send to digital press (ok its a glorified copier)
It's 136 pages so I'd rather not break each page spread manually.

I think I'm stuck but figured i ask.

I would save the file out as a PDF and then place it in either Quack or InDesign with proper size facing pages.

Waiting with bated breath on this one. We receive files set up this way all the time...even AFTER telling the agencies the proper way to build them.

I know... gotta love it. I have customers that try and "help" us by building jobs as printers' spreads, imposing their own business cards, etc.

Are these facing pages or non-facing pages? If non-facing pages, you can add a blank page to the right of each spread in the Page Layout palette. Then change the layout properties to be the actual trim size. The page trim should "slide" over and leave the art positioned on the new, two page spread. If its facing pages, I would export to PDF and re-place into the properly sized page as mentioned above.

Not sure what workflow or tools you have available to you...
- If you have Prinergy, it's enabling of a simple setting when you bring the pages in, and the pages get split into the appropriate new number of pages with the appropriate geometry for left and right. Super easy, very effective.
- If you don't have Prinergy, you could probably jig something together by duplicating the PDF (one for odd pages, one for even). Open the even page PDF, then set the geometry for all the pages as appropriate using a geometry editor (there are various). Repeat for the odd page PDF. The page numbers will be a bit unintuitive ("odd.pdf" page 1 = page 1, "even.pdf" page 1 = page 136, etc.), but it will be consistent, so if you watch for it when you impose/assemble the job, it might be acceptable.

Maybe.... I tried printing them to a pdf and used manual tile. On a spread built 17 x 11, I printed to a 8.75 x 11.25 pdf with 1/8 inch bleed and set manual tile to get the left half of the spread. I then moved the x coordinate to 8.5 and print again to get the right half of the spread. Results attached. Try it and see if it will work for your set up. You'll still have to paginate them in correct printers's spreads, but maybe this will work for you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 9.32.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 9.32.29 AM.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 214
  • test_Layout LEFT.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 231
  • test_Layout RIGHT.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 225

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back