Quark to Indesign Conversion Problems

JPickett

Just when I thought I saw it all!
This is the first message I've posted, and boy I wonder if the following has happened to anyone else.
We received a catalog job, Indesign CS3, MAC platform, The job was prepped by another operator at our facility, it looked very straight forward. Colors, Links, etc. were all in order, up to date. The job was exported to PDF. When editing/trapping the PDF, we found that most of the images were low res. They got me involved in the job because they said they checked the images/updated links and they were all of good resolution. So whats up? I've been at my current job for 8 years and remember a lot about previous jobs that have been prepped through our Prepress Dept. and it dawned on me that last years document submitted by the designer was in Quark 6.5. We compared all images common to the new files with the ones in our archives, same image/date and they printed fine. Then I realized this Design was exactly the same as last year. Was this doc CONVERTED from the old Quark doc into Indesign. We then put Indesign into High Resolution Preview and looked at the Up-to-Date-Links., the preview did not change, it still looked bad. We then opened an image in photoshop, just resaved the file, and then updated the modified link and wouldn't you now it, the preview updated with the high res look! We opened and resaved all images, updated the modified links, exported to PDF again and all was perfect. We then contacted the designer and of course it was converted. Is this a major flaw in the conversion software? or a flaw in CS3 to reconnect with the image links converted from the old Quark doc. We love Adobe Products and the files they produce have given us virtually no headaches in our PDF workflow, but now I'm aware/leary of certain Indesign projects. they are not all what they seem to be - Native Indesign, GOOD, Converted to Indesign, Be Aware, yet how can an operator know it was a conversion job when they preflight the file? At least I've seen it all. JP

Edited by: Jim Pickett on Jun 18, 2008 9:07 AM

Re: Quark to Indesign Conversion Problems

I also experimented similar problems with one InDesign CS3 project that was converted from Quark files. Some images would not print properly and when using the separations palette of InDesign, when turning-off view of plates, the on-screen preview image would not be affected, remaining in full CMYK. We ended-up manually re-import all problematic images to fix the problem.

We found a workaround that seems to work flawlessly. I dreamed it up when Quark and Adobe were fighting for/keeping market share.

I save the Quark file down through successive versions until I hit Q4. Then open this Q4 file directly in Indd CS2 and it prints perfectly. Newer Q6 files don't even open cleanly in Indd but they do coming from Q4 once saved down. I figure Adobe made this possible until they deemed it okay to block it out re market share. Nasty.

Dual booting G4 (not Classic) OS9.2.2 and Tiger 10.4.7
Now on an Intel imac, you might try saving Q6 down to Q5 and then Indd, might work since Q5 was out well before the fight began but no promises. Or get Clasic to run.

John W

John W.

According to the Adobe Help info (the on-line manual) only Quark 3.3 or 4.1x documents can be opened by CS2 or CS3.

"InDesign can convert document and template files from QuarkXPress 3.3 or 4.1x. InDesign can also convert document and template files from multi-language QuarkXPress Passport 4.1x files, so there is no longer any need to save these files as single-language files first. (To convert documents created with QuarkXPress 5.0 or later, reopen the documents in QuarkXPress and save them in 4.0 format.)"

I've done quite a bit of converting, with generally good results, though I have had to re-import some images when they wouldn't RIP correctly. I've tried Quark 5, 6 and 7 files, but CS2 and CS3 won't open them, and it is a major pain to have to repeatedly open the file and save it back to a previous version before converting it to CS_. How are you getting Quark 5 and 6 files to open?

read what I wrote again, the answer is there for you.

We have two DPG4's that boot back and forth between Tiger and OS9 all day long. It's quick if you plan properly.

If you're on Intel Mac, then you can also load COI (I believe it's equiv of 9.0.4).

John W

My experience is that John Willis way is the only way to get Quark correctly over to InDesign.
I use an old box Mac G4 with Panther and Classic. Quark 6.5 for Mac OsX and Quark 5 for Classic. Quark 4 saves down to Q4 and InDesign opens it perfectly. No need to worry about missing fonts or linked pictures. InDesign will load it when pointed to.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back