QuarkXpress 7

amybest222

wondering if anyone has figured out how to install Quark on a Intel Running 10.6.4
Wont even update to 7.5 keeps crashing..
We have version 8 & 9 but still get files from clients in 7 and prefer ro open in original app (not me personally -but) Quark does not support 7 at all in snow lep.. wondering if anyone has gotton it working- or im going to have to use my old PPC? thanks

We have Quack 8.5 loaded on our Intel Macs.
We have had NO issues opening Quack 5, 6 or 7 files.
I would recommend opening any version 7 files in 8. Version 7 (thru 7.5) allowed for transparency effects in the document, but had to flatten the transparency upon output, even to PDF.
Quack 8.1 allowed for export to PDF with transparency intact. But for best results, make sure you're updated to 8.5.

its not me .. I feel safe opening a version up - its all the ISO procedures written before me.. ;) thanks

its not me .. I feel safe opening a version up - its all the ISO procedures written before me.. ;) thanks

So change the ISO procedure.
We too, are an ISO shop. The only real guidelines are that you follow your own procedures, but they are not etched in stone. They can be revised.

Hi Amy,

We have Intel Mac Pros running 10.6.8 and Quark 7.5 with no issue...

Try this: create an additional Mac OS X user account (Accounts System Preference), log out and log into the newly-created account and try installing/updating the Quark software 7.5 (if the installer asks if you want to install for only the current user or all users, choose all users).

Did that help?

Best regards,
HP

Have you deleted all the associated system files/preferences?
I noticed you said you were running OS 10.6.4.
Is there a particular reason you haven't gone to 10.6.8?

I doubt this will work but it's worth a try:

Go to the Quark application folder, click once on QuarkXPress.app, and press Command - I. There should be a checkbox named, "Open using Rosetta". Check it and try opening Quark again.

Another thing you could also try is repairing disk permissions.

Last edited:
I've got the same problem. I had tried to fix it but eventually I gave it up. I can live with it as I have 8 and even that is barely used - actually I think I haven't even received a single quark file in the last six months. Still got a working 7 on a PPC though. At Quark they say X-Press 7 is not supported under Snow Leopard. It's just their usual customer support... After all downward incompatibility is not unusual in the world of Mac.

Last edited:
Most Mac's built after Nov2009 won't run Q7.5 and OSX10.6.x (there is a similar thread on the quark forum)
Some people have reported getting v7.1 or 7.2 to run.
The main downside of opening a v7 file in v8 would be text reflow, my experience opening a v7.0 in v7.1 or 7.2 or 7.5 or simply using a different OSX can cause equally bad reflow, I'll still open v6 and v5 in v6 and v5 but with v7 I'd use 8.1 or 8.5.
Having the ability to produce native transparency in PDFs from quark is often much more important, at least text reflow can be fixed!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back