Question about G7

shorty83

Hi, I have a question about G7 and gray balance. I am basically wondering about the gray balance squares made up of CMY and weather or not they are supposed to match the K-only gray swatch exactly. My boss here seems to think the CMY gray build should match the K-only gray builds exactly and then also thinks that if an offset press and a flexo press at two different companies are G7 certified that any process job should look the same on those presses. I beg to differ... TIA!

The CMY and K patches for 25%, 50% and 75 are not supposed to match exactly, they're close but not exactly the same.

Between any two G7 systems (offset, flexo, digital...) it's only stated that you'll have a similar appearance (neutral gray balance) without any further color management applied on top of the G7 calibration. If additional color management beyond just the G7 calibration is done they can be pretty close depending on the capabilities of each device, but just being G7 isn't a guarantee of a match.

If additional color management beyond just the G7 calibration is done they can be pretty close depending on the capabilities of each device, but just being G7 isn't a guarantee of a match.

Yeah...

Just understand though that once "additional color management" is done, then all the G7 calibration becomes is the linearization for the final ICC profile.

Meaning that the output result isn't really "G7" anymore, and it is entirely possible to get the same or even a better result with whatever linearization routine is built right into the RIP.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

The K only patches are the target (if Black is printing correctly) the CMYs will be as close as possible to the target (as well a being neutral).

If everything were perfect, they should be really close depending on measuring devices, substrates, inks press conditions.....

Near impossibility across different printing technologies, to be exact every day of the year.

jerry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back