Rant!!

Can someone tell my what the mentality is behind making a few prepress people run they're arses off 12 hours a day whilst the rest of the sales and shop are fully staffed??? Every shop I work for starts pealing away on prepress until they burnout the workers. WTF???

You think that sales and the rest of the shop aren't working their arses off? They are.

you experience might be unique..it's not been that way at places i've worked..usually if there isn't enough work to keep people busy, they aren't kept around.

My experience has been that work comes in waves, one week prepress might be working a tremendous amount of overtime, the following week, that glob of work hits the pressroom and bindery.

It's easy to rag on sales at time, but really, would you be working 12 hours a day if they failed to do their job?

Like I said, every shop is different.

The majority of the problems our prepress faces are crappy files. If they created all the files we work on their jobs would be much easier. I think bindery takes the blunt of the stress. The file sits in proof for two weeks then is due either that day or the following day. Used to be quality, service or price. Pick two of the three now the customer gets all three and we bust our butts and get little in return.

In general, Boss is alway willing to make their stuffs keep busy even if the work is nonsence, in that way they could feel satisfy with their payment

Rush Press is the most profitable shop in the CGX family. Now you know why. Best of luck to you Mike.

I guess I'd rather be busy in prepress than have no work and have to report to: DUM DUM DUM....HAND BINDERY!!!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back