Recession and print industry

Tech

This is not a pleasant topic, but I know we are cutting back upstream, with higher paper prices, we even started to send 1-2 color products oversea. I'm sure reducing staffs here isn't too far away either. So how has this recession affect your company downstream? How has print industry in the past dealt with recession?

So far, it's hasn't affected us at all. Sales are up over last year. But we're big into internet marketing, and other printers in Vancouver are not and coincidentally, we hear through the grapevine that business sucks for them.

Yah, some offset printers will go bankrupt this year in our city, so what else is new? When the grizzly bear is running loose, you don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the guy running next to you.

Okay, I just reread my post and it sounds harsh, but it's mostly been like this since I started in the industry back in the early nineties. What's new?

www.prepresspilgrim.com

Last edited:
My thoughts is that our industry seems to be dealing with everything at once... (the latest) recession, internet, craiglist, and aging business models. As a vendor to the industry we have been forced to become more efficient with our inventory and overhead. We have discontinued products, heavily invested (investing) in the creation of new products to help our customers become more efficient and profitable, crosstrained our techs to handle both equipment and service, reduced personel, and try to save where we can in expenses. Last month four of my friends/clients closed their doors due to consolidation and are out of jobs. From a vendor/salesperson viewpoint I find myself investing more time researching ideas and solutions for clients.

In the midst of the chaos we all need to embrace change and focus on staying positive while we carve a new path in our industry. I have been reading this book called "Thinker Toys" by Michael Michalko, it's a book teaching creative thinking techniqes to look for answers/solutions in different ways. There are hundreds of years of experience and people in all facets of our industry participating on this board we all have different roles and levels of experience to give. I'd love to see a folder on print planet called 'Idea Exchange' with subfolders where we can post specific challenges and together we can brainstorm solutions/ideas.

Kindest regards,
Michelle

The biggest problem we face is the cost of bills going out versus the amount of money coming in. We have done layoffs, cut hours and luckily for us that has been enough. I do not envy the companies that have just purchased multi million dollar equipment and are not able to find work for these machines. What we have been seeing is taking on all jobs and facing un realistic due dates and times. Doing these jobs is one thing but then doing it for little or no profit is another then on top of it the quality has to be there. Used to be pick two quality, service or price now they get it all. The only advise I have is to not let it get to you and keep a positive attitude. It is not going to get better for awhile. Look at it as a challenge and feel good about yourself and team for doing things faster then you ever thought possible. When this recession is over the few left standing will be in a good position to become profitable again.

My two cents. Back in May, I was laid off from a mid sized printing company in the Great Lakes Region. I was the Systems Administrator and QC Coordinator for them and felt comfortable with what I did for them. They are a smart company in that they invested in technology and diversified their product line. There downfall, they invested in expensive technology and only put 20-30% of it to use. Quite a shame.

As the economy got worse, it started to look like a ghost town around there. I was one of seven that got laid off in that period. And just recently, I heard they cut the work week from 5 days a week to four. I seem to see them slowly tumbling down the hill out of control. Keep your head high, and do a good days work, but don't be blind, keep you resume current and your industry contacts near. These are hard times but the opportunities are always there for those willing to work hard and smart for them.

I found an excellent artical from the Wharton school on a project called Newspaper next that is an abbreviated outline from a 123 page report. It has some very good ideas on how Newspapers can boost their profitability and revenue. Very interesting read. :)

Wharton Leadership Digest

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back