Remote Access

prepressguru

Hi Gang

Just wondering what software you are using to remotely access the prepress workflow from home/remote location if there is an emergency plate needed? We were using remote desktop connection. But found it to insecure and now looking at other options. Recently checked out logmein.com.

Thanks

p

We have the option of using a Virtual Private Network. Then I use VNC software to take control of the computer I want.

A VPN should be fairly straight forward to set up once you know how the network is setup. Once you have your tunnel in then you can use Remote Desktop or VNC.

If you are conecting from OSX to a OSX machine the best you can use is ScreenSharing, it is the native solution starting from OS 10.5.

TeamViewer needs to be provide password to access system, instead it is better to use screen sharing if u r using mac or VNC in case of PC. Prinet provides the facilisity to take additional plates required from press.

Hey gang thanks for the additional replies

teamviewer - new to me so I will look into it.

VPN - has been recommended - but for me, I need to wrap my head around it a little better

Prinect does allow you to create plates at press, only if you bought the license. We didn't

Thanks agian. P

We use custom port with Remote Desktop for random location access. Use VPN tunnel from the house. Our router has never seen a security issue doing it that way.

I gather you don't want to put a cot up in the shop :D

TeamViewer needs to be provide password to access system, instead it is better to use screen sharing if u r using mac or VNC in case of PC. Prinet provides the facilisity to take additional plates required from press.

There's an easy workaround for TeamViewer login password issue on the remote machine. What I do is assigning a rule to my email software. If my remote computer receives an email with subject "Please start TeamViewer", it will trigger a script that will:

1- start TeamViewer, thus showing the needed login password
2- take a screen capture of my computer
3- reply to the email with attached screen capture image

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back