Research

Prepper

I've been asked by our design department to research options for printing our short run color on either a digital press or a good color printer.

Some background: we have a 4up 6-color Heidelberg and do all our own design and printing in-house. They are wanting to upgrade a monthly newsletter\report we send out at 2500 copies, 2 sided on letter size and fold into a 3 panel brochure. This is probably the largest run we'll have, so way too low volume to consider a digital press I think but that's why I'm asking about this here, is to see what options there are and what you all would recommend. We're probably talking 5,000 copies or less per month, full color, and most of the jobs would be in the 200-500 copies range.

I've looked briefly at printers like the HP 5550 or CP6015 but the per copy cost seems maybe too high still for the 2500 runs, compared to going to our Heidelberg? And how will the quality compare?
They are wanting the ability to mail merge also. Do these type of printers have close enough register to print something full bleed on a over sized sheet and then trim on a cutter? Needs to be auto duplex also.

Trying to keep price under $10-15k also. What do you think is the best fit for all this?

Any input appreciated,
Thanks

Outsource the work.

You will not find anything cost effectve for what you want to do other than outsourcing.

CSimpson is right. There are plenty of hungry printers out there right now who will be happy to help you.

I think you need to think a lit bit out of the box.

are you planning to get a machine just for that particular job, or would you say that maybe if you get a machine you could probably do many other jobs that can bring revenue to you?

you are a commercial printer already, so you probably can start with a Xerox DocuColor 242, which can do that job and MUCH MORE.

sooner or later, you'll need to have Digital technology in-house to compete.

No, we are not commercial. In-house non-profit, we would do more jobs but all short run in the 200-500 run.

Mostly coated 100# text, but that's just what we run on our offset for the most part, we would probably do more uncoated off a printer.

I've been asked by our design department to research options for printing our short run color on either a digital press or a good color printer.

Some background: we have a 4up 6-color Heidelberg and do all our own design and printing in-house. They are wanting to upgrade a monthly newsletter\report we send out at 2500 copies, 2 sided on letter size and fold into a 3 panel brochure. This is probably the largest run we'll have, so way too low volume to consider a digital press I think but that's why I'm asking about this here, is to see what options there are and what you all would recommend. We're probably talking 5,000 copies or less per month, full color, and most of the jobs would be in the 200-500 copies range.

I've looked briefly at printers like the HP 5550 or CP6015 but the per copy cost seems maybe too high still for the 2500 runs, compared to going to our Heidelberg? And how will the quality compare?
They are wanting the ability to mail merge also. Do these type of printers have close enough register to print something full bleed on a over sized sheet and then trim on a cutter? Needs to be auto duplex also.

Trying to keep price under $10-15k also. What do you think is the best fit for all this?

Any input appreciated,
Thanks

IMHO your price limit is WAY too low.

You want to replace/compliment a press with an office model?

If you owned a raceing car team, would you throw in a little 4-cyl to compliment your race car?

If you SERIOPUSLY wnat to use thsi as stated, have it perform reliably AND make money you MUST spend more.
Look at productions machines, and price the product to your customer appropriately, just like everyone else does.

again....IMHO

Mostly coated 100# text, but that's just what we run on our offset for the most part, we would probably do more uncoated off a printer.

take a look at the Xerox WorkCentre 7300 series with Fiery, it might be enough for what you need.

WorkCentre 7328/7335/7345/7346 Color Laser Multifunction Printers

I still think you probably would need something more robust but still affordable, like the Xerox DocuColor 200 series :

DocuColor 242/252/260 Digital Color Copier Printers Offer Professional Productivity

it's your chioce.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back