RGB to CMYK conversion through prinergy connect

tbowat

I know there are several threads out there about this subject, but I just wasn't finding what I was looking for...

PDF Files:
1. What is the best way to convert PDF files that are supplied with RGB images? And of course they have multiple ICC profiles embedded (Adobe RGB and sRGB)
a. Do you convert them in Pitstop?
b. Do you convert them in prinergy using 1 of icc profiles and hope for the best? (ColorConvert-Assign Input Device Conditions)

InDesign Files supplied that we export a PDF:
1. What is the best way to convert RGB images that are placed in InDesign? And of course they have multiple ICC profiles embedded (Adobe RGB and sRGB)
a. Convert all RGB images in Photoshop?
b. Do you convert them in prinergy using 1 of icc profiles and hope for the best? (ColorConvert-Assign Input Device Conditions)

The destination profile would be CMYK - GRACoL2006_Coated1v2

From an operator's point of view I want prinergy just to take care of it, because that's the most automated in our workflow.

I was just wondering how other companies handled the different profiles.

Thanks

We run everything through a color server (Alwan). It is early binding and apart from the workflow but i am amazed at the job it has done for us.

I know there are several threads out there about this subject, but I just wasn't finding what I was looking for...

PDF Files:
1. What is the best way to convert PDF files that are supplied with RGB images? And of course they have multiple ICC profiles embedded (Adobe RGB and sRGB)
a. Do you convert them in Pitstop?

If the input PDF has ICC profiles for the images, then it would probably be wise to refine with *no override on embedded ICC profiles* and to select an "appropriate" RGB input profile for use with any possible untagged RGB content.

You could look up "Using the Altona Test Suite" in the Prinergy Workshop help system (proof and final output) and or Refining/ColorConvert.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• refine-profiles.gif
    refine-profiles.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
1. What is the best way to convert RGB images that are placed in InDesign? And of course they have multiple ICC profiles embedded (Adobe RGB and sRGB)

Since you are after automation, "best" may mean that you don't perform any manual conversions in Photoshop (even if making image specific decisions may result in "best" results)...so:

Option A: Export out the PDF from InDesign with ICC profiles embedded with RGB images, then refine as per my previous post.

Option B: Export from InDesign with a conversion to the desired CMYK, when refining in Prinergy do not alter/convert the CMYK elements.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh

Stephen - you are correct "best" ='s no manual conversions in photoshop.

Stephen -

Option B -
1. When exporting from InDesign should the color settings look like the capture that is attached. (We normally have this on "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"
2. How should the output window look when you export?
3. In Prinergy should override embedded profiles be checked on the cmyk/rgb

Thanks for the help.
Color settings.pngOutput Color Conversion.pngOutput Profile Inclusion Policy.png

Stephen - you are correct "best" ='s no manual conversions in photoshop.

That may not be the definition of "best" for all images, which is why I qualified that option as "best" if automation is more important than anything else.

"Best" is a very subjective term.

I will get back to you on the various Adobe colour settings screen shots later.

3. In Prinergy should override embedded profiles be checked on the cmyk/rgb

In my opinion no, not for "normal, everyday" processing of RGB images. For CMYK content, I would generally only convert for a very good reason and then only using an appropriate DeviceLink profile to maintain the black plate and or visual appearance.

In 99.9% of cases you should be able to trust that the RGB tagged profiles in the document are correct. For CMYK, you should trust that the files numbers/values and or profiles are correct. Overriding means that you are changing the customer's colour intent. Look at this question and tell me what you think is the correct answer: "In InDesign should I override the font chosen by the customer, without telling them? They are using Arial, however I going to replace it with Helvetica or Univers". Those are "similar" sans-serif fonts, but not the same!

What if the question was: "In InDesign should I override the font chosen by the customer, without telling them? They are using Times, however I going to replace it with Futura". Now we have a serif font being replaced with a sans-serif font. In both cases the customer would not be very happy with your decision to override their artwork. For good reason! Why should colour intent be any different? Honour the customer's intent! For colour, it can be more subtle and harder to spot in some cases, while at other times the difference in result can be more drastic.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It is more efficient for you to do it in Prinergy Connect during the Refine process (convert RGB to GRACoL2006_Coated1v2).
However, if you want to implement that with your VPS and CTP output together with your dot gain curve in Harmony, you must have your "Color Management on Output" option in your Prinergy Connect.

Thanks

I use Actions in Photoshp and Automate/batch convertion. It's quickly and then in InDesign I have correct CMYK images.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back