Ricoh 7110 tested

thebluesdude

Hi guys just got back from my testing of the Ricoh 7110. Firstly it's built very well both inside and out. The model we were testing had suction rather than the standard feeder which was very good. Print quality was very, very flat matt and I think their claims to match as closely as possible to litho has been achieved....almost. The thing that it and all digital presses tend to fail on is the toner sits on the sheet rather than sinking in. This makes it look a good match for litho on a smooth matt or silk stock but doesn't let gloss paper remain glossy, it too looks matt, in this area it looks like a copier output. The white whilst been weak is a great addition, especially for printing on solid coloured sheets or clear material. The addition of the extended 700 mm sheet size is fantastic too. What was not so good and actually very disappointing was the clear toner. It was only really visible on thin silk paper, when increasing the stock weight it was even weaker than standard which wasn't good to start with, almost totally invisible on a 350gsm matt we tried, so spot uv effects for business cards are out. If your familiar with the xerox 1000 clear output then you will be extremely disappointed, also unlike the xerox it's a click charge as well as you buying the toner and unlike the xerox it will only produce a multi pass stronger effect by putting back through BUT the registration wasn't good enough for that. All in all an extremely competent box with great image quality slightly let down by a few non working bells & whistles. It is however a market changer at its price point.

The clear toner will be updated with a higher gloss version. Spot gloss is nothing like spot uv but it surely simulates the effect when laid over ink. Ricoh techs do not recommend a 2nd pass.

The clear toner will be updated with a higher gloss version. Spot gloss is nothing like spot uv but it surely simulates the effect when laid over ink. Ricoh techs do not recommend a 2nd pass.

I'm a curios person maybe to a fault, but once we get this machine, we will likely try it no matter what the tech says.

Bump.

Anyone got one on the floor in production yet? Curious to see how it is doing for postcards.

I have in production

I have in production

Bump.

Anyone got one on the floor in production yet? Curious to see how it is doing for postcards.

It is great for postcards.
It have a problem with te3xtured paper though. It should be great for textured, but have problems.
I have had the problem for 2 weeks now, and ricoh cant solve it.
Except for that, its a great machine.

Ask me anything, I use it daily in printshop.

Looking at upgrading from a 700 to the 7110, we mainly print postcards and like the features of the 7110 but I have read about the jam's being a problem on heavy weight stocks, we run a ton of Carolina C2S.

Ricoh 7100

Ricoh 7100

Looking at upgrading from a 700 to the 7110, we mainly print postcards and like the features of the 7110 but I have read about the jam's being a problem on heavy weight stocks, we run a ton of Carolina C2S.

I switched from a Xerox700, to the Ricoh C7110sX
I am happy with the Ricoh, and its a lot better machine than the xerox for sure. Registration is a lot better too.
But i have VAY more jamming, and the jams can take a long time to clear. The "purge" bin works for 10% of the jammed paper.
On the xerox i had one jam a week, the ricoh have around 5 a day. Each jam might take 1-2 min to clear, compared to 30 sek. on the xerox.
Hope that helped a little.

Is there a spot where more jams happen then another?

How is the Ricoh Tech compared to the Xerox, do they seem well trained on the machine? (I understand it is different for each area)

The Ricoh tech seem at least as good as the Xerox.
There is jam everywhere.
But ofcourse the worst are the ones that have paper everywhere in the machine. They occur when it double feed.
Then sometimes it dont feed. that only make a jam in the papertray that are easily removed.

I think the problem i that its a new machine, that ofcourse have problems.

Last edited:
I have had mine installed for 3 weeks now and love it! I cam over from the KM World and love this machine.
I run Multiple passes on Clear quite often, this creates a thicker lay down.
Have not had much jams but we run a lot of 16pt Tango thru!

We have been running everything from 20# Bond thru Static Cling thru Magnetic Stock thru 18pt Gloss Cover. Just ran 165lb Cover stock and it ran smooth.
I have samples of 16pt Holographic stock coming in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back