Ricoh 7200 Keeps Hesitating...

kdw75

We recently had a couple of Ricohs installed, but for simplicity I will be focusing on our 7210X. According to the CED our speed for any paper of any thickness should be 46 Impressions Per Minute on 13x19 inch sheets simplex or duplex. We run mostly 148gsm gloss or matte papers and we are seeing speeds of around 34-36 impressions per minute on duplex and a little less on simplex. The machine is moving at full speed, but it will feed 4-5 sheets then hesitate for a couple of sheets before resuming feeding. It does this throughout the job killing it's speed.

Now here is where things get really strange. I ran one job yesterday and it ran at full rated speed without the delay, then ran the next job, which was on the same media and it started hesitating again.

I am about to call in for service, but thought I would see if anyone had experienced anything like this.

We recently had a couple of Ricohs installed, but for simplicity I will be focusing on our 7210X. According to the CED our speed for any paper of any thickness should be 46 Impressions Per Minute on 13x19 inch sheets simplex or duplex. We run mostly 148gsm gloss or matte papers and we are seeing speeds of around 34-36 impressions per minute on duplex and a little less on simplex. The machine is moving at full speed, but it will feed 4-5 sheets then hesitate for a couple of sheets before resuming feeding. It does this throughout the job killing it's speed.

Now here is where things get really strange. I ran one job yesterday and it ran at full rated speed without the delay, then ran the next job, which was on the same media and it started hesitating again.

I am about to call in for service, but thought I would see if anyone had experienced anything like this.

I'll get that behavior when running variable data, I call it "race the RIP". It's not fully done processing but starts printing, then the printing catches up with the ripping and the printing has to pause. The only other time I've seen this is when running mega heavy coverage, seems the press has to pause once in a while to "catch it's breath". Are the jobs you mentioned either variable or really heavy coverage?

I'll get that behavior when running variable data, I call it "race the RIP". It's not fully done processing but starts printing, then the printing catches up with the ripping and the printing has to pause. The only other time I've seen this is when running mega heavy coverage, seems the press has to pause once in a while to "catch it's breath". Are the jobs you mentioned either variable or really heavy coverage?

Everything we run is pretty heavy coverage. No variable data. The job that was fast and the one that was slow both had equal coverage. They only had a different date on the promotion.

Did you reboot the RIP? If so did that change anything. On the EX-P 3100 I often have to reboot the RIP for this very reason. Just one of those Windows OS things I guess.

I have not tried that. The job that ran fast was the first one of the day if memory serves. We have the same RIP you do, but for Ricoh.

Is it fuser temp adjusting or is it maybe auto adjusting for registration? I don't get that on my 7110's.

Is it fuser temp adjusting or is it maybe auto adjusting for registration? I don't get that on my 7110's.

It doesn't say anything about making adjustments, which it usually does on the touchscreen. This is all color and all the same stock.

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi/0001074/0001074051/VM0BJ7xxx_02/M0BJ7409.pdf

Page 180, 181.

"*1 Print quality will decrease if the paper you are using is close to the minimum or maximum weight.
Change the paper weight setting to thinner or thicker."

"• Depending on the paper's size, weight, and type, the print speed may be slower than usual."

tldr; Lie and say it's 100#text and I bet it runs at rated speed. Our ImagePress 10000 does it too for some dumb reason.

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi/0001074/0001074051/VM0BJ7xxx_02/M0BJ7409.pdf

Page 180, 181.

"*1 Print quality will decrease if the paper you are using is close to the minimum or maximum weight.
Change the paper weight setting to thinner or thicker."

"• Depending on the paper's size, weight, and type, the print speed may be slower than usual."

tldr; Lie and say it's 100#text and I bet it runs at rated speed. Our ImagePress 10000 does it too for some dumb reason.

This is 100# text.

I had the exact same issue with an older xerox docucolor, it ended up being a patch was needed for the fiery. It took forever for them to diagnose, and if they ever reset the software I needed to go back an apply that patch. Try bugging phone support until they get you to Someone higher up.

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? I think I may know what the issue is. If the 7200 is anything like our 5310, then there is a setting for switching between colour and B/W

If you are printing a document which is either fully B/W or colour, then it will go at full speed. If you are printing documents which are part colour, part B/W, then after X amount of colour pages the colour fuser will switch off which causes the delay of a few seconds. If you are printing documents which are mostly B/W but have a few colour pages interspersed, this can hit productivity.

There is a setting which can be adjusted on the 5310. Default setting is that after 5 pages the fuser will switch to B/W mode. I set it to 10 pages because we print documents which are generally B/W with some colour bits here and there.

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? I think I may know what the issue is. If the 7200 is anything like our 5310, then there is a setting for switching between colour and B/W

If you are printing a document which is either fully B/W or colour, then it will go at full speed. If you are printing documents which are part colour, part B/W, then after X amount of colour pages the colour fuser will switch off which causes the delay of a few seconds. If you are printing documents which are mostly B/W but have a few colour pages interspersed, this can hit productivity.

There is a setting which can be adjusted on the 5310. Default setting is that after 5 pages the fuser will switch to B/W mode. I set it to 10 pages because we print documents which are generally B/W with some colour bits here and there.

No. We never have gotten to the bottom of it. We have just dealt with it. Both machines do it and it happens randomly on jobs. All of the work is full color without any black and white, so there isn't any switching and we are running in productivity mode. The techs have been called in several times and they threw up their hands and said it must be file related since both machines do it. Our 7210 has the E85 RIP and our 7200 has the E35 RIP. None of these jobs do this on the old Versant 2100. It runs all of them at full speed.

After a couple of years of using the Ricohs, this is our primary complaint. Otherwise we are very happy with them.

Reactions: bcr
@kdw75 We sometimes have this happen on our KM C4080. I do need to pay it more attention, monitor it and actually understand when it happens and what is happening. In these cases I've noted the 'time remaining' display is empty, the pages are still RIPing, although I'm unsure why and like yours, this is not on VD jobs, just multiple sets of the same booklets.

I noticed last week that changing the substrate part way through a job (eg: p.1-16 135GSM silk, p.17-18 250GSM silk, p.17-36 135GSM silk) caused similar rest periods. This doesn't happen on the Pro951 B/W machine, where we are pulling substrate from up to 5 trays to make booklets with various tinted pages, the machine does all this at full speed.

No. We never have gotten to the bottom of it. We have just dealt with it. Both machines do it and it happens randomly on jobs. All of the work is full color without any black and white, so there isn't any switching and we are running in productivity mode. The techs have been called in several times and they threw up their hands and said it must be file related since both machines do it. Our 7210 has the E85 RIP and our 7200 has the E35 RIP. None of these jobs do this on the old Versant 2100. It runs all of them at full speed.

After a couple of years of using the Ricohs, this is our primary complaint. Otherwise we are very happy with them.
So if you've talked to your Ricoh SE (Fiery guy) about this you've probably already been down the updates road including Fiery patches and updates to CWS? If you were my customer I'd be requesting copies of those files to have tested elsewhere. If the problem can be replicated then likely it can be resolved. Have you also posted the question on communities.efi.com?

@kdw75 We sometimes have this happen on our KM C4080. I do need to pay it more attention, monitor it and actually understand when it happens and what is happening. In these cases I've noted the 'time remaining' display is empty, the pages are still RIPing, although I'm unsure why and like yours, this is not on VD jobs, just multiple sets of the same booklets.
Looking into this further, the job history reports all our jobs as multiple pages x 1 set.
Every job in our history log shows "Sets = 1"
Today, we ran 3 separate jobs, each 1pp SRA3 posters, 240 copies, using AccurioPro Print Manager.
The history shows these jobs as 240 pages x 1 set, whereas I would expect to see 1 page x 240 sets.
This suggests each page is being RIPped individually, explaining why the remaining time and remaining pages aren't reporting expected.
@jwheeler, can you help on this one?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back