Ricoh C900

We duplex variable data on postcard stock of 10pt & 12pt meaning we can't use the machine for that, unless we run 1 side then turn it & run the other.

This is weird - we do this exact same work (variable data postcards) - we have successfully run Tango Brand 10 pt C1S, and Carolina Brand 10 and 12 pt C1S, both duplexed. At first we had many jams, but took care of it with better drawer set ups (we were actually setting the drawer too tight, which caused jamming) and better QC when cutting down the press sheets - we now cut our digital stock down only with a fresh blade, so we have to stock it a little deeper.

I believe we use Special 1/2 settings, and Thick 2, depending on what we're running. Technically the 12 pt should be Thick 3, but I don't think that allows duplexing. Thick 2 will run.

We also learned to print the uncoated (mostly text/adddress) side first, so the 100% color coverage on the glossy "fronts" doesn't have to go through the fuser twice - it would run, but changing the page order helps it jam less.

I'd bug the techs more - the C900 is capable duplexing 10 pt.

:confused: We ran Carolina 10pt C2S on thick 2 but the machine jammed every 3 or 4 sheets. We have a service contract with Ikon & the tech told us if we cheat the machine & don't use the correct settings repair would not be covered. I have had 2 techs work with me on the machine & both tell me I can't duplex 10pt on thick 2. Thick 3 will not duplex. Any thoughts?

Well, we are running C1S, so I guess that may contribute. We haven't had our techs tell us we can't do something - they have been more like "it's supposed to run so discover the settings that run best - here's the recomendations".

I don't have experience with C2S, but it should fall within the specs - we were told 300 GSM max, and 12 pt C2S is 268 (C1S is 252, so not that far off).
Out of curiousity, you are using the LCTs, right?

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I have been running a c900 for 4 months now, never ran a printer like this before. I do have a graphics background though. We are doing high volume on the c900 with 12x18 100 lb cover stock. We have had some issues but for the amount of volume we print and the amount of ink coverage, I think it is probably normal. We also run it straight into a UV coater and our prints come out looking great! Would love to hear about any one else's experiences with this machine as well.

We have been running 270 gsm paper (100 lb cover stock) auto duplexing on thick 2 setting (special 3) for about 1 month now, it works great. We were told not to run this way also but tried it extensively and it is just more efficient to run this way. With the amount of volume we print, it is hard to say if we have to call service running this way more than we did before.

Sounds like most are running heavier stock on thick 2. I have used thick 2 with 10pt C2S. It jammed every 3 to 5 sheets & actually damaged a roller. That is when my tech told me I couldn't use that setting or the damage wouldn't be covered under our contract.
Has anyone heard of a replacement parts that could make the C900 able to duplex thick 3? That has been mentioned to me but I can't seem to find any info to support it.

We tried the Carolina paper as well, it seemed ok but we went with Mohawk. I get a few jams, paper misfeeds a day and usually run about 5,000-6,000 sheets of paper daily auto duplexing. I sometimes get a lot of paper misfeeds and it thinks there is a jam when there isn't. I then switch drawers and make sure to fill the drawer to full capacity, it seems to do better that way for some reason. I also put the paper in the drawer in the same direction everytime just to see if that has an effect.

Those who have a C900, who did you purchase it from & if you have a service contract who is it with. Ours is with Ikon.

We also use Ikon. The first month that you had the machine were there a lot of service calls? I have been told it takes some time & adjustments to get it to run consistantly. Currently, I have around 2 service calls a week. The latest was a hard drive failure in the machine (Not the Fiery workstation). We have had the machine for almost 5 weeks now & 1/2 the time I can't run it.

Last edited:
We had some start up frustrations (see my previous posts for some ideas). Most were learning curve issues (setting trays correctly but differently from our other equipment) and typical bugs we see each time we get new equipment. Also, our techs learned as we learned - there weren't a lot in our area at the time. We haven't had any major failures but the first couple months were frustrating.

We have had the beginning frustrations/learning curve as well. We also do about 1-2 service calls weekly. After we chose what paper to run, the service tech tweaked the machine to that kind of paper and we had less issues and better print quality. I have noticed some issues come and go at times as well. Also, it seems to have spells with some things and I cannot relate the problem to anything that I am doing and then the problem will sometimes just quit.

Lots of great info on the c900. We are currently looking at upgrading one of our Canon machines and Ikon has suggested the c900. We havent talked price of machine or click charge yet. Just curious, would anyone mind give me an idea on these 2 costs?

The machine is not designed to duplex media above 220gsm HOWEVER some users are using the Thick 2 settings as a work around. The Manufacturer does not recommend this.... although some media will run above this weight quite well.... others "may" struggle.

My company has the c900 and we were one of the first to beta test and have had it for well over 8 months and this machine runs. The image quality is very good and the capablility of managing my color with the fiery is a big plus. I've run heavier stock then what was rated, i've run as thick as 14pt through this machine. At one point I ran 1,000,000 prints before I had to call for service. For the money and the production I get out of this machine, you can't beat the value.

Hard to believe unless you performed the 400K and 800K preventative maintenance service yourself.... This machine is reliable but I suspect 1m impressions between service is stretching the truth a little too far..

Hi Jerod -

I don't own the C900, but the company I work for does :)

So far there's been some learning curve - see my post in a similar thread. Overall, we're very happy with the C900. I am amazed at the color match - we recently printed some PDFs from a game company highlighting a new game coming out - quick print work, no tweaks or color matching, just hit print. When the game came out, colors were exact from their press to our C900 print outs.

Most of our troubles have to do with finding decent stocks and setting combos - our current issue is finding something for letterhead that can then be lasered on a different printer without smearing all over the rollers and stock. We didn't have that issue with our old Konika CPP 500. (glad we kept it for back up)

Also - it jams more than I'd like - always says to fan the paper more. This could be more learning curve, as it seems to be better than originally but still happens more than I'd like.

It does run heavy stock without loss of engine speed, provided it doesn't jam. We have run 12 point C1S without issues (although not duplexed).

Let me know if you want specific info, or a file printed, etc. Would be glad to help.

Rhonda

When using the user interface it's important to use the correct settings. For Coated media (gloss, silk, satin, matt etc..) you must use an LCT and use Coated 1, 2, 3 and the Special 1, 2, 3 addresses, since these are the only settings that engage the air assist in the LCT.

Tray 1 & 2 on the engine are only designed for plain paper upto 120gsm.

The LCT air assist blows air between the sheets to aid separation. It is very important when setting media to the the LCT to fan the paper well. Due to the heavy mass and smooth surface of coated stocks, small areas of vacuum in the sheets can occur making separation difficult for the separation rollers.

If you are having separation problems on the plain settings (No Display, Special 4 , 5, 6) the air assist can also be switched on for these but may require the assistance of your service personnel.

There is a new list of "approved" paper including Carolina 12pt C2S machine DUPLEX, This list came out May 18th. There are settings that need to be changed so ask your tech!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back