Ricoh Pro C7210sx constant paper jams

wavedaveprint

I ran about 200 sheets of 100# Text 13"x19" sheets through the 7210 and all of a sudden, paper jam. Which is fine, that happens. Cleared the jam and continued printing. Then, another paper jam in the same spot (in the tray/feeding area). Cleared that and carried on. But then, another jam, this time closer to the output side. It wasn't so much a jam but two sheets seemed to have fed through at the same time and just got spit out causing a "jam". Well, the same exact thing keeps happening. Over and over again. I've tried fanning the paper, changing settings, and even tried a few different stocks, including 80# Cover and still, the same error keeps happening.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks,
D

Are you using the default Ricoh libraries? They are...not great. We use a custom library for 70-100# text. When I've had issue like this turning on the side shutter fans & pickup assist will fix it. If that doesn't work bumping the fan strength up should do the trick.

Did you make sure and piece the paper that was jammed back together so you made sure you got it all out?

Same error from a different tray?

Did you make sure and piece the paper that was jammed back together so you made sure you got it all out?

Same error from a different tray?
Hi Shawn. Yes, same error from different trays and I made sure to get all the paper out from the initial paper jams.

Are you using the default Ricoh libraries? They are...not great. We use a custom library for 70-100# text. When I've had issue like this turning on the side shutter fans & pickup assist will fix it. If that doesn't work bumping the fan strength up should do the trick.
We have a custom library. I will try your suggestions for fans and pickup assist. Thanks!

While your in advanced paper settings you can also try changing under Paper Feed Mode Max dble fd reduc(lowest) or (highest), depends on the the papers mood that day but that helps sometimes along with pickup assist.

While your in advanced paper settings you can also try changing under Paper Feed Mode Max dble fd reduc(lowest) or (highest), depends on the the papers mood that day but that helps sometimes along with pickup assist.
Nothing seems to be working, unfortunately. We should have a tech out here tomorrow. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

What's the jam code there should be a Jxxx at the top of the jam screen that will tell you where the Jam is happening. Ask the tech for the jam code listing if you don't have it already.

Could be...
-tray rollers
-static
-If your paper has been stored in a different part of the building than the machine that could cause it to give you similar problems as well
-paper setting* just because it says its 100# text doesn't necessarily mean it is that weight. I have a tool that tells me the caliper of the paper and I have found that same weight stocks vary in GSM. A lot of the time I have found that text weights are actually lighter than what it is, and covers are heavier than what it is.
-Also make sure the tray unit is plugged in to its own dedicated line. On my production machine the tray has its own line, not sure if yours is the same.

UPDATE: Ricoh techs were at the shop all morning and finally found the problem at around noon. It turns out there was a piece of paper stuck in there and it happened to be interfering with a sensor that detects paper size. So, it was detecting the "wrong" sheet size every time no matter what tray the paper came from and spitting it out. It took them that long to find the issue so I would have never figured it out myself, probably. The piece of paper must have been hidden in a weird spot and it wasn't actually being detected as a paper jam itself.

That is why it is so important to piece the paper back together as much as possible when you have a jam to make sure none of it is left behind.
Definitely. We made sure we had it all when the initial jams happened. The piece that was found was nowhere near where the first and second paper jams happened. So I'm not sure how it ended up where it did.

It can hop a ride on paper, especially cover weight. I have had pieces of a previous jam shoot out on paper in the shift tray before.

It can hop a ride on paper, especially cover weight. I have had pieces of a previous jam shoot out on paper in the shift tray before.
Yeah that's what I figured. Either way, it seems we wouldn't have been able to get to that piece of paper ourselves when even the Ricoh techs didn't get it right away.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back