RIP testing

kyle

We are considering upgrading from Apogee Prepress version 5 to version 8. I'm hoping someone out there with either version 6, 7 or (preferably) 8 can rip a couple of example files - here attached - and report back on the result, processing time, and your system specs (including computer speed, memory and if it's running 64 bit).

Any other RIP users: feel free to join in! It would be interesting to learn how the various systems differ.

Test 1 is for processing time. For more meaningful comparisons, rip with no press curves, no color conversions (everything is deviceCMYK), at 2400 pixels per inch (screen type shouldn't make much difference - I'm using AM 175). Rip to one-bit screened rather than contone. Use the following trap settings:

Normal width=0.25 points
Black width=0.38 points
Trap style=split
Trap corner shape=round
Image boundaries=off
1-bit images=off
Within images=off
Image to image=off
Sliding limit=85%
Relative limit=200%
Density reduction=0%

I've intentionally randomized the position of objects in this file before releasing it into the wild - that's why it looks strange. The files "1.zip," "2.zip," etc. are not actually zip files - the forum software wouldn't let me post a file greater than 2 megabytes, and balked at unrecognized or missing filename extensions. These 4 files are actually 4 parts of a zip file. In Terminal, these commands should put it all back together:

cd <<the directory the files are in - you can just drag the directory into Terminal's window>>
cat 1.zip 2.zip 3.zip 4.zip > test1.zip

Test 2 is for the result rather than processing time. Use the same trap settings listed above. Look at the raster result - is any trapping visible, and if so, does it change in the center where the arrows are pointing?

I have more, but I'd like to see how this goes before posting them. I encourage anyone else to do the same. My results follow in a separate post.

Attachments

• 1.zip
    2 MB · Views: 257
  • 2.zip
    2 MB · Views: 231
  • 3.zip
    2 MB · Views: 231
  • 4.zip
    2 MB · Views: 255
  • rip test 02 - image trapping.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 257
My specs:

Apogee Prepress 5
2.33 GHz x 4 Intel Xeon 5140 (rendering of a single page is limited to a single core)
Windows Server 2003 (32-bit)
4 GB RAM

My results:

Test 1 rips in 814 seconds (13:34).

Test 2 traps on the left half, stopping at the arrows. All of the objects are images (except for the arrows), and the trap settings used should not trap images in any way. The top two images have transparency information, but are effectively opaque. There is an opaque white image underneath on the right half. It's the left edge of that hidden image that defines where the trapping of the top objects stops.

Nexus TotalRip
07:55

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 10.28.30.pdf
    169 KB · Views: 240
Thanks for the replies! Did anyone try the second file?

Remember, time alone is only part of the equation for measuring RIP performance - doubling the processor speed should just about halve the time to render. Yavo, would you mind posting your processor speed and RAM?

yavo,

Looks like the Z600 ranges from 2.0 to 2.93 GHz. Do you know which one yours is?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back