Roller cleanning and hardness

Alex Arriaza

im trying to recover a Komori L640 from 1987, the machine is running and makes good press operation, but im struggling with the rollers care, i would like to know the proper hardness for the rollers, and the cleaning procedures for this rollers, also it has a copper plated roller that has always gave me trouble with the cleaning, so it would be great if someone would recommend a product for cleaning and the right procedure.
Thanks
AA

there are some products I've used and had good luck with. First, I would clean by hand all copper rollers with Prisco Copperizing Solution. Its original use is for steel rollers like on some millers. Apply with a rag, wipe off. If the rollers are really bad a little pumice and press wash will help, it should be used lightly. You don't want remove the copper. Second I've used a roller paste (bottcher cleanfix or prisco paste) twice a week, Wednesday night and Friday nights (leave overnight wash on Thursday morning and over weekend). Third, on monday rinse out the Febo paste and I use Bottcher CalciumFix, following on instruction on container.

The manual should list hardness, if not your roller rep should be able to help.

If you concerned about the Copperizing solution, try it out on one of the small copper rider rollers.

here are some pdf links

prisco paste
http://www.prisco.com/content/library/media/documents/PriscoNet/Document_Library//z585_usa_pbp.pdf

prisco coperizing solution
http://www.prisco.com/content/library/media/documents/PriscoNet/Document_Library//c301_usa_pbp.pdf

bottcher Calciumfix
http://www.boettcher.de/PDF-Dateien-engl/Calciumfix-engl.pdf

bottcher cleanfix
http://www.boettcher.de/PDF-Dateien-engl/Cleanfix-engl.pdf

You can visit the web sites of the roller manufacturers and get hardness recommendations from their sales sheets. Try Acorn, Bottcher, Diamond.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Alex,

do you run alcohol? If so you need soft durometer (hardness) this year of komori is a hard press to run due to hickey problems. We all ways take rollers out to scrub with pumice every 6 months. It's a pain but this type of press needs it. The copper vibrators do what dana says but, i would not use pumice on them they cost more than your check. Back to durometer talk to a roller rep i suggest diomond they are pretty good.
Mike

Alex,
I have included the correct procedures for washing up your press.
Durometer specs. as follows

Forms - 25
Ductor - 30
Dist. - 35

Please never use pumice to scrub rubber rollers. A roller has peaks and valleys that assure proper ink transfer. Pumice is like sandpaper and will sand away the surface, reducing the life of your rollers and quality of print. There are run in products that will keep the rollers running as effectively as possible. I hope this helps.
CD

Attachments

• Roller Maint.pdf
    230.4 KB · Views: 464
  • Wash up procedures.pdf
    120.4 KB · Views: 355
some dude recommended to use vinegar mix with water to clean the copper rollers, im not happy about this, because of the chemical reactions of the acetic acid and the copper, what you think about this?

If you use the Bottcherin Pro-AR (as per the wash-up instructions) regularly you will keep the copper from becoming sensitive. I would suggest you apply it to the rollers during the water only cycle of the wash-up also. You won't need very much, just once across the rollers with a bottle.

vinegar and water is for the rubber rollers. Use proper desensitizer for the copper roller.

could you explain when to use this vinegar treatment for the rollers.

can we expect a good clean from this.

really appreciate if you can explain the procedure a bit and also
the vinegar to water mixing ratio.

thanks

We use white vinegar every once in a while to help with calcium buildup, in conjunction with a calcium rinse, as we have some issues with it. We tend to run an 890x627 velvet sheet sometimes for weeks on end, then go to a 720x1020 gloss and have watering issues about 3" in from edge of sheet. The smaller sheet leaves a residue that has absorbed into the rollers and they are probably more at the point of replacement, but this residue tends to promote the transfer of water resulting in a slight but very annoying washout in those areas(more prevelent in the magenta and cyan decks). Micro tuning the profiles and tweaking the rollers gets the job done, but is not a solution in this case. The copper rollers also have a discoloration and is part of the problem...

If you do use white vinegar to alleviate the problem (and it does help!!) ensure that you clean rollers thoroughly first, then wet them down with the vinegar, inkers and dampeners engaged (use plates you wont need again) idle it for approx 5mins and most importantly, WASH IT OFF WITH HOT WATER. Use plenty of water and really give it a good going over... its not a total solution but will help some...

Use a three step system to clean the rubber roller surface

1. Use a water miscible wash (solvent mixed with water) to remove both the solvent-soluble and water-soluble particles that are near the top of the deposit layer. This leaves the insoluble particles.
2. Use a non-grit roller paste to remove the insoluble particles. Be sure to use a paste that is designed and tested for the type of rollers you have. Never use a paste with grit, for this will damage the rubber.
3. With the layer of insoluble particles removed, most of the remaining soluble particles will be exposed and can be washed out with a second water-miscible rinse.
Find out more here: Printing Roller Maintenance

Important Notice:
- For Strong dirt, you should use volatile, residueless cleaners.
- In order to preserve the surface structure of the roller, cleaners containing ester or ketone, and especially methyl acetate or acetone, must not, under any circumstances, be used.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back