Running Envelopes on a Ryobi 3302M, How?

Hi all. We are kicking around the idea of running 2 color and process color on envelopes (mostly #10) on our 3302M. Pressman says it is not a good idea as it takes to long to set up and may damage the press. Anyone running envelopes on a 3302M? Any tips or info would be a great help. Is an envelope feeder available for this press?

I assume you mean pre-converted envelopes.

We've done it here and it works, but, order lots of overs for
each pass. Allow time to pick through the entire run if it's
more than one pass to find misregistered pieces. It's hard
on blankets, so figure that in, or use a set of beaters.

We don't do process this way, but we have done 5 spot colors
before. Lots of waste, but the job was sellable. I've never seen
an envelope feeder for that press, but it could exist.

You might be better served to have press sheets converted,
but I'm sure you've thought of that already.

I run all kinds of envelopes on my 3302. There are several tricks to it.

The main thing is to take into account that unlike most presses with an feed roller infeed, this design shoots the stock into the bottom of a transfer drum moving downwards, instead of the top of an impression cylinder moving upwards. This means the stock is going into a set of grippers that open and close from the bottom.

The consequence of this is that if the envelope flap hangs down as it would if the envelope is fed with the short edge as the gripper, that flap will conflict with those grippers, causing frequent misregister and jams with potential damage to the flying head stops of the transfer drum. Imagine that you could see through the side frames and watch in slow motion as the feed rollers close on the envelope distorting the flap as it shoots the envelope into the stops and forms the buckle that will be maintained until the drum grippers are closed. The result will vary with the different shapes of that flap from different envelope converters.

This conflict can be avoided entirely by running the envelopes with the long edge as the gripper edge. This requires buying lots of extra wheels for the feed board, and placing them close enough so that the envelope is never free as it moves down the belts on the feed board. I use 7 pairs of wheels for a #10 envelope. Near the rubber tires at the beginning of the belts two pairs point toward the feeder, the rest point toward the press. But first set of the forward pointing ones mount on the bars *between* the rear pointing ones but on the other side of the mounting bar, so that the hanging arms of the 2nd and 3rd pair can cross past each other in opposite directions. This may sound confusing, but it's the only way to get the wheels close together to always have wheels on the short sheet that is an envelope running with the long edge as the gripper. The last pair have springs so that they don't rely only on gravity.

Now in the area of the side guide you will need an extension to reach the short sheet at the stops. Ryobi makes one for the push guide with a stiff spring feather and one solid one for the opposite side. You need to get these from them because they have small wing screws installed for attaching to the existing guides on the press. I replaced the spring feather with a rigid metal strip with a cut out to clear the tape roller at the bottom of the ramp and for the rare two pass work I do use a spring on the opposite side.

Now for the envelope feeder. I currently use one by Astro (AMC-2000) which is timed electronically to the press. Press Specialties also makes one. And here again you need extra wheels over the feeder tapes to hold the envelope at all times.

Keep a separate set of blankets just for envelopes.

With this rig up I routinely do one pass two color envelopes at 6,000/hour. I have done occasional two pass close register work at 3-4,000/hr. with very careful make ready and LOTS of spoilage, but I do NOT recommend this.

Oh yeah, I do use a delivery conveyor. The delivery challenges are the limit to the speed.

I hope this helps.

Al

Last edited:
I dont think you need to buy all the extra skid rollers. I run 2 color envelopes gripped on the short edge at 8500/hr all the time, almost every day. Sure it beats on the blankets, but feeding is never a problem. IMO there is no need for an envelope feeder unless you are running envelopes 24/7 on that press. I can load a whole box of 500+ in at a time. Its takes just seconds to re-load a box. We also from time to time run 4 color process envelopes on our 3304.

been on and off a 3302 for 15yrs...env area bit of a setup prob...but once they are ready they go all day long

I've run 9's and 10's on the 3302. Its the large envelopes, like 9x12 or larger were I've encounterd trouble with the glued seams on the UNder side. They can snag on the hooks at the feed side. They can be adjusted.

If you can run them long edge wise it's easier and you will get better registration. Short edge is fine for 1 or 2 color, but as there is little gripper space, the tail end can move back and forth a little causing reg from tower to tower to be tricky. If you can get a slightly compressible blanket. That will help to avoid creasing near the flap. Yes, this press design does have a transfer, then a double wide impression, then a transfer to delivery.

I think the extra rollers would definitely help, but I've never used more than 3 before, but sometimes I have misfeeds at the transfer gripper because the envelope slows down a little, which the extra rollers might fix.

I also recommend Big Feet suckers, which greatly help with envelopes.

For process color most places use a halm jet press.

when I run a 9x12 or larger, I feed it portrait wise. I find I can get crud on the underside tail corners. Lint, heat, central oil, and washup residue can be a problem. At times I take the gear side cover off and clean the guides underneath there.

3 and 4 color envelopes

3 and 4 color envelopes

I've ran 3 color #10 and also done a 4 color9x12 envelope on a 3302. I just make sure the feed rollers are set right and the push isn't too much. I clean the tables and all the support under neath the press so that they don't pick up any garbage. I make sure that I can run the envelopes back through on the second pass, by not moving any of the machine. I recommend checking the registration(on the first pass) before fully running the job. I usually get about 500 extras and that is usually enough for me. We just put new feed rollers on our press which makes it register like a charm!! If possible make sure the image is towards the top of the envelope just in case there is a little wiggle in the tail, because we all know envelopes are not squared at all!!

We just purchased a 2000/2001 AB Dick 9985 and are considering an envelope feeder. I am getting mixed reports on the best feeder for this press. One of our consumable vendors (does not seel feeders) say Strat Flo feeders are not great for this press and really recommends an Astro feeder. Others say Strat Flo is the only choice.

Any thoughts?

How many envelopes do you plan on running per day/week? Unless its a ton of them I would save your money. You can load a box at a time without a feeder. It only takes about 20 seconds to re-load.

I currently use the astro feeder which i think works great they make the adapter to fit the 3302 style presses i also have a strateflo which i never use ( you can have it for a case of beer) the starte flo takes practice to get the loading part down and i change envelope sizes way to ofetn for that. as for no feeder sure you canload them 500 at a time but with the feeder i dont have to stop feeding until the job is done which on a 10k run adds up to much more production. i typically just run around 6000 imp per hour and can reliably output 6000 finished piece in a hour with out sweating or bending over 12 times to load the press. I do use a delivery conveyor also sure makes it easy.
we have run everyting from A2 to A10 and 6x9 booklet to 10x13 booklets and all the standard #9 #10 #6-3/4
I also have a 9850 that is stup to run envelopes but the 3985 makes such a better image even on black and white. I just installed a set of quick change blanket bars from the internet that were $240.00 and i would suggest them as the ryobi blankets do no like the extra force and will develop low spots if you are changing envelope sizes a lot

#10 flap

#10 flap

How do you cope with an image on the front of a #10, with a 1/4" border all around? And of course the flap area should look good. You know the thicknessess vary because of the flap.
I pack the impression cylinder, both of them. Have any other suggestions?
I can get satisfactory results, but it takes too long to set up. For a run of 500.
The color variation because of the flap is unacceptable.

Use compressible blankets, and you will not have to pack the impression cylinder. It has been too long since I sold my 3302 to tell you more.

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back