Ryobi 3304 with console

eopa77

Looking to purchase 4/c Ryobi with console. I noticed it only has 8 ink zones and does not have micro adjustment for ink settings. Is the console worth it or is it just something they offer to make the boss think he has a console. thanks

Console

Console

The console is a nice feature. If properly calibrated the ink zones work well. It beats going between units and tweaking keys or levers. Just be sure the servo motors are kept clean and lubed and you will love the feature.
The curve features and floppy disk to save a job profile is OK, but INMHO overkill. When these presses are set up properly it will print anything a DI34 will. Without all the special needs of a DI.

OG

ABDick 4995A

ABDick 4995A

OffsetGuy,

Is ABDick 4995A reliable as its sister the Ryobi 3304HA? It seems the Ryobi is more popular.

Thanks

Offset Guy was banned by the owners of this board many months ago. It seems as if he offended Presstek and they had him removed.

We just bought a Ryobi 524 ge with the console and I think I died and went to heaven the console makes the press so easy to run it makes a soso pressman look great LOL we have the scanning densitometer on ours runs great just ran a 202,000 4/4 job first copy looks the same as the last the scanner keeps the colors right on. I know a company here in So California that has a couple 3304 for sell at a good price and come with new press warrenty sorry my spelling sucks very tired LOL

Last edited:
Hello Al

Hello Al

If you wish to compare Presstek and the admins to fish that is your business sir.

ABDick 4995A

ABDick 4995A

Thanks, cymk!
That's too bad. OffsetGuy seems very knowlegable.
Anyway, anyone has good/bad experience with ABDick 4995A? It's Ryobi made, so we can use Ryobi's parts and techs I guess.

press with console

press with console

printerdw,
Yes, I will get a press with console. Someone mentioned that Crestline is recommended, too.

Crestline's are a good water system our Ryobi came with the Ryobi water system but not crazy about the way the bridge roller works so I just turn it off and it works fine for us. Give PFS for a price you can get a good deal from them Phone: (800) 398-5283
Fax: (714) 238-1147
Ask for Robert Ordway Great guy to deal with.

ryobi 3304

ryobi 3304

printerdw,
I think 3304 is good enough; however, some printers told me I should go with GTO or DI because nowadays 150lpi is not good enough. I'm afraid that I have to find another press after I get 3304. How is your 524?
Every time I talk to a salesperson, he tries to steer me to the machine he has.

Our 524GE is one of the best presses I have ever run and let me tell you I have run alot of diffrent presses in my time. Love all the goodies that came with it. our waist is down 70% over the 2 color press we had I can hang 4 plates in 2 min and with the scoop punch we have almost never have to move the image on the press hits right on every time. We love the press and we are an inhouse college print shop and we have already put a 1/2 mil on the press in just over month and a half and we dont work overtime or weekends. so i hope this helps you should really look at this press.

ryobi 3304

ryobi 3304

I know 524 is a step up of 3304. Due to our volume, we will go with 3304HA which has semi auto load, auto wash and control console. I am a rookie pressman; hopefully it will make my job easier.
Thanks

I've never ran a 3304 but having spoken with people who have you should keep in mind that although it is a 4 color, it is still a 12x18 portrait-fed duplicator and will be lacking in some of the features that a larger, true landscape 14x20 press would have. Mainly:

No bearer to bearer contact between the plate and blanket cylinders so it will be a little more prone to problems with gear chatter and slurring of the image.

Portrait feed with push guides instead of landscape feed with pull guides so you will have more problems with sheet to sheet registration and tail-whip. Also means for best registration you should run your sheets as grain-short rather than the more common grain-long orientation.

Smaller ink train that has to cover 17 inches of image area rather than the 13 inches in a landscape configuration which means a more difficult time laying down large solids and avoiding ink starvation ghosting.

That being said, with a little more operator skill a 3304 can produce good quality work. Plus it has the benefit of costing considerably less than a 4 color 14x20 and it can run envelopes and small cards that can't be run on most 14x20 presses.

Also I forgot - I believe the max image length on a 3304 is 17.25" which makes printing 2-up 8.5x11 with bleeds, color bars and cut marks a tight fit. You have to have a very skinny color bar and small bleeds.

With good metal plates I wouldn't think a 3304 would have any problems printing line screens higher than 150 lpi. Extremely high screen frequencies like 300+ lpi might be a problem since it doesn't have bearer to bearer contact, but for more normal screens I think it would be fine.

Thanks, jdaghir! That's the reason one salesman suggested me to buy a 2C 14x20 heidelberg speedmaster. He said it's cheaper with 2C, but with more automation as the speedmaster it won't take much time to run a 4C job on 2C press.

One thing I hear about the 3304 is running 11x17 4 color is a little tricky with getting tail whip I think the 3304 has a push guide and not a pull guide may be wrong.

Last edited:
He said it's cheaper with 2C, but with more automation as the speedmaster it won't take much time to run a 4C job on 2C press.

The Speedmaster is unarguably a more capable press, but as long as the 3304 includes the console option I'm not sure I would agree with that statement. I don't think the Speedmaster is THAT much more automated than the 3304, although I'm not intimately familiar with the automation on Speedmasters so I could be wrong.

On short run lengths there may not be a huge time difference between running 2 passes on a 14x20 versus 1 pass on a 12 x 18 but I suspect that 1 pass on a 12x18 would still be a little faster on most jobs. It's also easier to visually check and confirm your color in 1 pass. When running 2 passes your first pass has to be done strictly by the numbers with a densitometer. That being said it is entirely possible to do it and do it very well. On long run lengths you will obviously find it very difficult to be competitive if you are running the job in 2 passes. And if a lot of your jobs are short run lengths I would also be looking at one of the new digital color boxes. The newest generation of production boxes from Xerox, Canon, Ricoh and Konica-Minolta are all very, very good and require less operator skill than a press.

For what it's worth here are my rule of thumb thoughts. Bear in mind there are a lot of specifics about your situation that haven't been discussed that could completely negate my reasoning.

If your run lengths are mostly short (under 5000 pages or so), then I would look at a digital box.

If your run lengths are longer then:

If your budget can handle it, get a modern 4 or 5 color 14x20. It's the best choice by far.

If your budget can't afford that and great quality is more important than cost competitiveness then I would lean toward a 2 color 14x20.

If cost is the driving factor and you can live with good quality I would look at a 12x18 4 color.

Jdaghir,

We already have a Konica for short run but for 2000+ run it's not competitive. Right now we can only afford a 4C 13x18 or 2C 14x20 (we currently have one old 2C 13x18). I concern that the 4C 13x18 does not produce a quality print comparing to 14x20 press. If it's not that bad then I will go with 4C 13x18.

printerdw,
does your 524 have auto blanket wash? Also did you run any 11x17 full bleed, solid color job on it? How is the quality? consistent?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back