Scorer for digital print

cec-prepress

Does anybody have any recommendations for a scoring machine designed for (or proven to work well with) digital printing. We're an all digital shop and we need something that handles cover and text weight.
Thanks!

Although some have had success scoring digital print with traditional score wheels, you'll get the best results from a "creaser", rather than a score. The toner-based digital print process actually "bakes on" a thin film of a hard plastic-like substance. This is why, if you fold digital print, especially with a fair amount of color coverage, and double-especially with thicker cover stocks, what you will notice is that the print "cracks" at the fold. Scoring starts at one edge and proceeds to the other edge causing successive "wave" effect during the process. Creasing is a single bar that hits from one edge to the other all at the same instant thus preventing the "wave" effect.

We use a Duplo 645. It works well for us, but, there are several other brands out there.

Hi there,

we use Morgana AutoCreaser (production UK) which works very well with most of papers printed digitally (from gloss coated 150 gsm (about 115 microns) to card board 450 gsm (540 microns). Problems may appear with some of the coated papers, especially with matt finish and when the grain goes perpendicularly to the scoring line, then it may crack while being folded.

So, whichever machine you'll get, I strongly recommend to do yourself tests on number of different papers which you use, mostly coated with bulk ratio less than 1.0 (boards with bulk over 1.2 even coated on both sides never caused me any problems using most of available techniques including ring scoring, creasing on various machines manual or automatic, pressing on platens and so on then folding in both directions (into embossed or debossed side) or being saddle stapled and folded).

Good luck with getting the right one!

Sebastian

Hi there,

we use Morgana AutoCreaser (production UK) which works very well with most of papers printed digitally (from gloss coated 150 gsm (about 115 microns) to card board 450 gsm (540 microns). Problems may appear with some of the coated papers, especially with matt finish and when the grain goes perpendicularly to the scoring line, then it may crack while being folded.

So, whichever machine you'll get, I strongly recommend to do yourself tests on number of different papers which you use, mostly coated with bulk ratio less than 1.0 (boards with bulk over 1.2 even coated on both sides never caused me any problems using most of available techniques including ring scoring, creasing on various machines manual or automatic, pressing on platens and so on then folding in both directions (into embossed or debossed side) or being saddle stapled and folded).

Good luck with getting the right one!

Sebastian

Thanks for the quick responses. I think we had a Duplo, but I'll run these by management and see what they say. I'll update on our choice or if we have any other questions. I'm open to other ideas or tricks anyone has as well.

Any floor folder with adjustable slitter shafts and a set of tri-creasers. This set-up will out produce a Duplo/Morgana 50 to 1 minimum!

creaser

creaser

Does anybody have any recommendations for a scoring machine designed for (or proven to work well with) digital printing. We're an all digital shop and we need something that handles cover and text weight.
Thanks!

We sell scoring machines but it sounds like you need a creaser. You can see a semi-automatic creaser here:
The Graphic Whizard PT370SA Semi-Automatic Creaser - YouTube

Please call me at 877-BINDERY.

David Spiel

We use a Morgana Autocreaser. This works excellent with anything digital. I run text and cover stock and crease everything that is going to be folded. Our machine is about 5 years old and it runs excellent.

As digital printing is becoming vary popular at the current time. Everything getting this painted. Also Tents/Shelters are doing the same stuff and they become vary attractive after getting it.

instant marquees | More Info

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back