Screen PlateRite Error - E5139

TechnaPrint

Registered Users
We are getting a reoccurring error on our PlateRite 4300 - E5139 - Mechanical Error.
Once we clear this, we get "E5139 - After the plate is transferred to the gripper clamp, the plate detection sensor (PH29H/A) does not switch on."

We get this on some random boxes of AGFA Azura TS plates. Usually when this happens, I just rotate the plates in the cassette, but sometimes I have pull the plates and load another box. Neither AGFA or Screen can give me any good answer. Screen wants to send a guy in to look at machine ($1500).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I used to have a random issue with our Screen 8100 and Kodak Sword Excel plates. It seemed that there was a sensor that determined if the plate was still on the cylinder (or not!) and it was very sensitive to the color of the emulsion used on the plates. Occasionally, Kodak would make minor changes to the pigment of the emulsion and it was enough that it would fool the sensor into thinking the plate had fallen off of the cylinder. The down and dirty fix was to substitute another plate, sometimes from the same box, other times I had to open a whole new lot number of plates. What you're doing sounds like what I was doing to fool the sensor, moving on to either a different plate or lot of plates.

The real fix was to call the service man and have him adjust the sensitivity of this particular sensor.

I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but it reminds me of the sensor issue I was having. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I no longer have access to that machine.

Yes, these 2 sensors (Home and Away sides) are looking for the plate to have gotten into the clamps correctly. The color of the emulsion might just be on the cusp of being sensed.
Also, if you ever go into the back of the machine for cleaning, etc, be sure not to use the bar those sensors are mounted on. That bar looks like the perfect assistant for getting off the floor, but don't do it. You'll mess up the alignment.
Where are you located? I'm in NJ (obviously!)

We are in Oregon and are using AGFA's Azura TS plate, it is a light blue (almost Cyan). We were using PressTek plates and never had this problem, but because of a press issue, we had to switch to AGFA. We have had the tech in here twice on this issue, but it keeps coming back, and now our warranty is up.

We are getting a reoccurring error on our PlateRite 4300 - E5139 - Mechanical Error.
Once we clear this, we get "E5139 - After the plate is transferred to the gripper clamp, the plate detection sensor (PH29H/A) does not switch on."

We get this on some random boxes of AGFA Azura TS plates. Usually when this happens, I just rotate the plates in the cassette, but sometimes I have pull the plates and load another box. Neither AGFA or Screen can give me any good answer. Screen wants to send a guy in to look at machine ($1500).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Yes I do. I can send you the step by step procedure with pictures to fix this problem yourself. Send me your contact information.

Farshad

[email protected]
www.armyaservices.com

Last edited:
Can anyone post a solution or a pdf on how to fix his problem? I am having the same issue, we are using Presstek plates and this is the first problem we have had with our machine. Love the plates and don't want to change anything there. Thanks

Can anyone post a solution or a pdf on how to fix his problem? I am having the same issue, we are using Presstek plates and this is the first problem we have had with our machine. Love the plates and don't want to change anything there. Thanks
Your Plates are O.k. May I ask what size and what thickness do you have this problem with?

The front sensor is the issue. Your front sensor offset is wrong for the plate. Normally cleaning the PH 29 sensors will rectify the problem. The part is very reliable but sometimes the beam will start dying after a few years.

Sorry, the box just says 30, but it is (0.3 mm / 0.0012 in). Our other plates are 505 mm x 340 mm (0.15 mm / 0.0006 in).

I am having problems only with my smaller plates.. ( .20 MM). I also use larger plates (.30 MM) no problems with them... I also got inside and cleaned the plate sensors but I am still having the same error..

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I just sent you an Email. Please follow the procedure and let me know if it works. If not, You will have to do a couple of more procedures which will be sent to you.
I am confused! Are we having 2 different members with the same problem here?
Good luck,

Farshad

[email protected]

I added a piece of tape to the tail of the plate to make it 1 mm longer. See attached screenshot. Take the tape off before processing...
We have a PlateRite 8600Z.
Error: E5112 plate size (in the Y direction) is shorter than the set value
The plate is: FujiFilm JH-PJ 335 x 485 x 0.15
2020-04-07 15.43.38.jpg
2020-04-07 15.43.38.jpg
2020-04-07 15.43.38.jpg
2020-04-07 15.43.38.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back