Service questions on KM C7000

cmitchprint

Are there any shops just responsible for or doing their own service on the C7000 machines?
We presently have a C6500 that is closing in on the end of 5 year contract. We are paying .06 per copy color (yes, that's 8.5x11) and we need to get a better rate so we can compete with those shops who are getting .045 any size. Dealer doesn't want to continue a relationship with us on production machines because he says he's losing money on the 6500. So, that means if we get a C7000, it's ours. Our volume is averaging about 250,000 color copies per year but this volume will definitely increase dramatically considering we can get the cost down near the .045 copy range. We can get a repo C7000 with under 100,000 copies on it. Would being responsible for our own service be a viable option faced with this scenario or should we just look at a Canon Image Press? Thoughts?

I have never seen where you can come out ahead buying parts and supplies see how much it would cost just to buy the toner. If they were getting .06 for a letter size and losing money they either didn't know what they were doing or you guys were really a big pain :) :) :) (this is a joke) Single click for up to 13x19 is the norm for producton stuff so they were getting double the norm. If you want a konica aren't there other konica dealers or KMBS around there?

I have never seen where you can come out ahead buying parts and supplies see how much it would cost just to buy the toner. If they were getting .06 for a letter size and losing money they either didn't know what they were doing or you guys were really a big pain :) :) :) (this is a joke) Single click for up to 13x19 is the norm for producton stuff so they were getting double the norm. If you want a konica aren't there other konica dealers or KMBS around there?
This dealer is it. He's pretty much monopolized the whole northern part of the state so no chance to get a better deal. We're looking at a Canon Image Press 7010 that we were quoted .045¢ any size which is almost 1/3 of what we're paying now. Presently, we use about 3 bottles of Y, 2 Mag, 2 Cyan and 1 Black per month. The toner can be gotten for $45 for color and $39 for black. That's less than $400 which is 1/4 what we are paying him for that volume of 28,000 copies. I talked to the owner yesterday and he actually threatened to GO UP on the price! At this point, we only have 3 choices: Keep the 6500 another year or so and suck up the expense of pm kits and toner, get a C7000 with the same deal OR pay more for a Canon 7010 refurb. with a service contract. We have access to KM parts for less than retail which would help but I know trouble wise, we're in for some frustration.

Having had a C7000, we had so much work done on it, I'd go with the Cannon. The dealer is playing hardball with you. I would tell him to go pound sand.

What state are you located in? If I were you I would get estimates from Xerox, Canon, Ricoh and KMBS. I would tell that dealer to shove the machine up his rear and take your money somewhere else. You are WAY overpaying. Also with the volume you mentioned the 7010 is a bit overkill but it will allow for growth. I would be a bit weary about a refurb unless you know it was done by Canon Direct and NOT the dealer. The "refurbs" from a dealer usually are nothing more than a PM and maybe wiping down the outside. Your toner price sounds like aftermarket and not OEM. Once you dump non OEM in the machine you are screwed if you want support from KM. Once you start growing you will find out that you will be using that much toner in a week.

Just make sure before you switch you are not tied into a contract of some type.

how do they know you are doing 8.5x11 not SRA3, the click is still the same?

how do they know you are doing 8.5x11 not SRA3, the click is still the same?

I work at same place as cmitch. The K/M 6500 we have now has a sheet sensor and anything over 14 inches is two clicks. I know we are getting ripped off. When we get our color charges down we will be able to move a lot of color jobs from the offset press.

The toner price was for K/M toner.

Wrong, the meter is set to double click on anything over 14 inches. If you look into the service counter it will have a meter that would be double your meter you use to send in your count. (that's if you run all large sheets)

Wrong, the meter is set to double click on anything over 14 inches. If you look into the service counter it will have a meter that would be double your meter you use to send in your count. (that's if you run all large sheets)

That is what I meant on the click charges. The guy that owns the dealer is a cantankerous old man and wants to stay away from production machines. He is also the only K/M dealer within 100 miles but the service guys are great to work with and the dealer is only two blocks away. Canon is just now opening up a office in our town and that is why we are looking at the Canon machine.

Last month, we paid over $2900 and that was 48,000 color copies. The machine does good work but cannot compete with other book printers, especially those who mix color and greyscale in one book. It's a market we just cannot touch right now and the cost of this color is hampering our growth. As racincrazy mentioned, we intend to move a boatload off offset where we have runs of less than 2000 IF we can get our color cost right. The Canon Image Press is looking better every day.

If there really isn't any other konica dealer yeah get something else. I am sure Xerox and Ricoh are around there too.

The guy that owns the dealer is a cantankerous old man and wants to stay away from production machines. He is also the only K/M dealer within 100 miles but the service guys are great to work with and the dealer is only two blocks away.

If he doesn't want production then you will never get production service once you do go full bore. I am fighting the same thing with one of the largest KM dealers in the US. They have an office mentality.

Craig, let me guess, are the initials of the dealer B.T.? If so, we have much in common. Let me know.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back