Setting up InDesign document for packaging

saburrell84

Hi all,

I'm a students and I've never designed packaging for a round container that is larger at the top than bottom. The dimensions of the container are: 6oz - Top 90mm, Bottom 75mm , Height 62mm. I have attached the .pdf file of the template I printed out to do my sketches on. I need to know how can I mirror this template in InDesign so that the dimensions are the same and prints properly.

Thank you for your help!!

Attachments

• 6oz_ice cream container(1).pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 216
Go to the fridge/freezer section and make a *detailed study* of designs for similar size/shape packaging, before you even start at the computer.

Adobe Illustrator is the industry standard tool for packaging design and production. I don't believe that a student should be told to use InDesign (or not instructed to use Illustrator) for such a packaging job as you describe. You need the right tool for the job, and in this case InDesign is not the right tool.

Over and above Adobe Illustrator, other vendors such as Esko have high end Illustrator plug-ins or stand alone software for packaging design and production.

You have a template, which can be opened and used in Illustrator (put the art on a lower layer and the template on top). The template is using CMYK colours, so be careful when using it as the template may become part of your artwork (the template should have been setup using spot colours with the paths set to overprint).

You can create your art and directly distort parts of it as necessary as you create it (not so easy or flexible)... or you can create your art "flat" and then distort it to fit the template using envelope distortion (you probably don't wish to distort barcodes, nutritional tables and ingredients).

A Google search turned up some related hits:

Illustrator help: Making a conical label - MacRumors Forums
Adobe Illustrator: artwork distortion for printing on a conical shape, conical shape, bottom points
Label&Cup3D | Quadraxis

With luck somebody else will post some better links to tutorials or post step by step info.

All the best with your project!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I may be wrong but he can do the same in indesign. it can be exported to a and eps file in the end if need be or a pdf. same process i would think using indesign. my $.02

I agree 100% Stephen. USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB !! Yes, it can be done in INDESIGN but if you have AI use it. Your not going to have the proper (or may i say BETTER) tools in INDESIGN to distort your artwork if need be.

Otherwise in INDESIGN you import the template as a picture on a separate layer and use it as a guide for your design.
You will need to open the template in AI anyways so you can color the paths to a spot and set to overprint. Make sure the template is derived from a CAD program to ensure it is the same file that will be cutting the job.

I work the same way . . . die lines in illy, then put in InDesign as a layer that locks for "guides" - have done many boxes, labels, and point of sale hangers this way - IMHO Indesign handles 90%+ of your needs and if you need something that demands Illy . .. do it in Illy and import the native file . .. that's using the right tool - you don't have to use just one tool that can do everything you might need - reach in the toolbox and grab a chisel, a saw, and a plane . . . use what works best for the part of the job that you need. That might even include Photoshop!:)

Could the people who say that AI is a better choice for this job than ID explain why?

Screw, meet hammer! When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...why not use a screwdriver for a screw?

How can you "cupshape" distort such a tub in InDesign? Illustrator has envelope distortion (probably not for barcodes), how would you do this in a productive fashion in InDesign?

In Illustrator you can create a custom grid using the blend tool that follows the distortion of the "cupshaped" distorted template. This can help with manual distortion tweaks, over and above the envelope distortion command.

How are you going to change the CMYK template/die/knife to spot colours and overprint them using only InDesign?

This is a packaging job, not a flyer/brochure/book. Illustrator is the industry standard packaging tool (or another capable illustration app).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
"Do it in ILLY than import the native file" THATS JUST RIDICULOUS !!!!! Why???
Just stay in Illustrator. Meanwhile if there is a correction needed, you start bouncing in-between multiple software. Now there's production !!

Better views, Outline precision, clipping masks, PATHS!!!!!!, filters, just to name a few.
I am in the packaging world, I do nothing but folding cartons. Why is it that 99% of the files i receive are native illustrator files.
I have 2 customers who use page layout programs. one of them, believe it or not, sends Quark files.

Do me a favor, check your document raster effect settings. Please let me know what it's set to.
I bet you guys also use photoshop to set type also, and send Photoshop files in RBG color mode too.

Illustrator is overall the most widely used design application in the packaging and label design world. Your instructor is doing you a disservice if she/he is preparing you to enter the industry using ID for packaging design. (add my 2 cents to the pile).
And, check out Studio Toolkits for Labels and Studio Toolkit for Shrink Sleeves, both work in Ai, on this page: Studio: 3D Modules for Adobe® Illustrator® - Esko Download the free trials for Ai and have a go.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back