setting up xerox problem

wonderings

Replaced an aging dual 1.25 ghz G4 at work with a new base model mac mini for our reception computer. I transfered everything via migration assistant. I knew I would need to setup the printers again as she was running Tiger and Xerox had driver updates for Snow Leopard. Anyways, I have run into a problem getting the printer going. I have the latest ppd and ran the updater and installed. Normally I would go to printers, add printer, then windows then click work group:

Screenshot2011-05-27at94142AM.png

Now normally I would see both our xerox printers here, our X12 and DC260. They dont show up, infact they dont show up on any computer now I try this on. Nothing has changed here network wise. Everything is updated to latest updates. What am I missing here?

Just at a guess, I think that your new Mac mini has stolen the position of WINS server. There is a sort of mini DNS process that goes on in your local lan among Windows machines. In the absence of a small business server or something that can do the job properly, the Windows boxes basically draw straws and elect one of them to be the name server. Recent Macs don't play nice, however, and will insist on taking over that position even though they do an incredibly crappy job at it.

If I recall, I think you can disable that behavior -- though I don't remember it being simple to do. In the meantime, you might also be able to get your printers up and running by referring to them by IP.

Why would you be looking in the "Windows" section for a network Xerox printer from the Mac unless you are trying to connect to it via a Windows share which I wouldn't recommend? If it is on the network and the IP has been properly assigned so your network can see it is should show up under Default or IP. If by chance it is an AppleTalk device there is no longer any AppleTalk support in OS X Snow Leopard and you will need to try to get it going through either the IP address or Bonjour (Default).

Yes Joe is correct, use TCP/IP to connect to your Xerox, but this does of course assume that your Xerox RIP has TCP/IP turned on. If it does not have it turned on then turn it on and get the PCs to use TCP/IP as well.
Also you may want to check your network preferences on your new mac and make sure that you have the same Windows Workgroup name as the PCs on the network - it just makes life a little easier.

Just at a guess, I think that your new Mac mini has stolen the position of WINS server. There is a sort of mini DNS process that goes on in your local lan among Windows machines. In the absence of a small business server or something that can do the job properly, the Windows boxes basically draw straws and elect one of them to be the name server. Recent Macs don't play nice, however, and will insist on taking over that position even though they do an incredibly crappy job at it.

If I recall, I think you can disable that behavior -- though I don't remember it being simple to do. In the meantime, you might also be able to get your printers up and running by referring to them by IP.

This is called Master Browser and it is possible to get this disabled on Mac OSX. Just Google "disable master browser on OSX". Sometimes you can turn off the Windows Network Service.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back