Shipping Area Re-Work: 5S in the works

mattf

Hey all:

Just wanted to give an update to my own 5S initiative.

With our new press, a Komori X29; 5C with varnish/aqueous, we got rid of our old Heidelberg 5C and have a specific area setup for our ink section. I don't have pictures of that, but that's what is in the works so far. I wish I had taken pictures of when the 5C was here, but that's neither here nor there. We are using that area for both inks as well as for staging area for work to be taken out. We had a massive job for a multi-language manual so we used that area for the setup for shipping. Its worked so far, and I think it will work for the longterm.

We also got to cleaning our mezzanine area. We had old diecuts up there, some from the 1970's (OLDER THEN ME!!!). Was insane, but I had created a better system to organize all our diecuts we needed. Our diecutter plowed through that area and he loves what we have done up there. I do not have pictures, stupid me, but I'll try to describe in words. Think of about 4 rows of wooden shelves. 2 shelves high and 2 shelves long, each with its own lane. We had a lot of dies :p. We cleaned that out and got a single metal shelving rack to hold some of the wooden shelves and are keeping up to 4 years worth of dies. We have tons of room now, but still lots of stuff to be organized up there. Little steps of course. Its hard to organize time since our diecutter usually does 5 jobs in one day, usually all of them around 3K-10K runs. I digress, I do not have pictures of the previous setup, but my boss might just to show you all progress.

The items I do have progress with is the shipping area. Again, I have been planning with the "facilitator" about how to organize the area with our shipper and we came up with a few ideas. I have attached a PDF version of what the area will become + what it is currently. As you can see, there is just tons of stuff everywhere. Nothing has its place and no one would be able to pick up the shippers job if he was out sick. I am hoping with the setup drawn out on the PDF that there will be a lot more room and that jobs will be better organized coming and going through the shipping department.

Any comments or questions would be outstanding!

Edit: I apologize for some of the pictures being blurry, my camera is old!

Attachments

• Shipping_area_rough_draft.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN0762.JPG
    DSCN0762.JPG
    795.8 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    776.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN0764.JPG
    DSCN0764.JPG
    711.8 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN0765.JPG
    DSCN0765.JPG
    785.8 KB · Views: 220
Hey all:

Thought I'd get more of a response then currently has been expressed, I changed around the plan for the area a bit and hopefully solved some flow issues that were expressed by the production team. I am still open to any suggestions anyone on the forum has, thanks!

sorry for the late feedback, but did you do a spagetti diagram of the existing layout? How about a value stream mapping of not only the outgoing, but the incoming?

sorry for the late feedback, but did you do a spagetti diagram of the existing layout? How about a value stream mapping of not only the outgoing, but the incoming?

Yup. Attached is the current layout for the plant, lower right hand corner is the shipping area. We used this map to make a spaghetti diagram and it was horrid. One of the issues that you might see is a long square that blocks the plant. That is where Danny's desk is currently located. It has given him his "space" but has also sectioned himself from the rest of the plant. Doing this make its longer for work to get to a place where he can do his job and on top of that the way work is placed within his area isn't organized at all.

Value stream basically is a mess. Outgoing has no concrete location to be stationed at nor does it have a clear cut path. Same with incoming, it can come from either side of the desk depending on who finished the work and there is no designated spot for incoming work to be placed. Within the revised plan, there are now 2 lanes, 15ft x 5ft. One is packing and labeling, the other is shipping. We determined this to be the best shot because the "shipping" lane is right in front of the door and can easily be placed out on the dock when needed. The packaging and labeling lane is also placed well because both finishing and shipping sections could do labeling at the same time for multiple jobs if needed.

I need to get better shots of the shipping department before we change it, just as an example of whats going to happen.

Thanks for taking on the discussion.

Attachments

• floor_layout_shipping_notes.pdf
    273.2 KB · Views: 266

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back