Shop humidity

pq man

Can someone please lead me in the right direction as far as keeping some humidity in the press room during the winter. What are you guys using? My paper seams to be giving me a lot of problems within the last few weeks as far as fit go,s on the press thanks Jeff.

Can someone please lead me in the right direction as far as keeping some humidity in the press room during the winter. What are you guys using? My paper seams to be giving me a lot of problems within the last few weeks as far as fit go,s on the press thanks Jeff.

We try to keep the humidity at 45% year round. Though in the winter it usually gets down around 35% sometimes, and that causes us some grief.

Are you guys using a separate system in the shop that controls the humidity? and if so what type of system? thanks for any info given Jeff.

Are you guys using a separate system in the shop that controls the humidity? and if so what type of system? thanks for any info given Jeff.

Our production area is only 6,000 sq. ft. We just have a couple of humidifiers from Home Depot. Each is rated for about 3,000 square feet and cost around $300 for both of them.

For larger shops there are misting plumbing lines that can be installed between the ceiling and around the perimeter of key areas, such as a press. I believe it is a rather costly expenditure but well worth it when low winter humidities cause a myriad of problems in the offset arenas.

Check with Printer's Service about installation and pricing (Prisco – Pressroom Products,Chemistry,Coatings,Fountain Solution,Printing Blankets) for these units. Absolute humidity control and proper humidity can be yours. Like anything else, it costs, to do it right. D

There is also a company with a world of experience called Draabe. They have installed units in several locations that I am aware of. At one point, Prisco (Printers' Service) was reselling their units. I'm not sure if they still have contractual agreements but they can answer the appropriate equipment related questions one may have.

DRAABE Humidification

Last edited:
Humidity- this time of year can be pretty tough to keep it above 30%. Our pressroom stays around 50%, we have a massive humidifier unit installed inline with our HVAC system. It's a custom unit designed by the company that services our HVAC - ABM. We also have AMCO misters at the feeder and delivery ends of the presses. Today it's 30 degrees F dry outside and the pressroom is at 50%.

The Prisco/Draabe units mentioned above are very good, I wish we had that set up in our shop.

Whatever it cost it's worth it. Below 30% humidity our feed, fit and delivery go to hell and in a hand basket...all bets are off.

Mike

Mike

Just going to throw this out there.....we all usually talk in temperature and relative humidity (i.e 50%). Get yourself a psychrometric chart (simple to find on google, etc...). It plots temperature and relative humidity and gives an absolute humidity. This can be very helpful. You can figure out what relative humidity to run at different temperatures.

For example, 45% realtive humidity is great in a 23-24 C (75-77 F) shop, but the same relative humidity at a higher temperature (say 30 C or 86 F or higher), and 45% humidity is a nightmare for your print units.

It is a small tool to learn to use, but it helps t mold how you think about humidity.

T

Our production area is only 6,000 sq. ft. We just have a couple of humidifiers from Home Depot. Each is rated for about 3,000 square feet and cost around $300 for both of them.

Out of curiousity, how often are you changing out your filters or do you run them with the filters removed? We've just purchased a few of these (probably the same units you run) and because during this season we're going to have to run them around the clock it's anticipated that they're going to want a new filter every couple of weeks. The expense for replacement filters is minimal but you know how it is.

Thank you very much for all the replies I am going to make a few calls I am having a hell of a time right now with fit on any text stock.

Out of curiousity, how often are you changing out your filters or do you run them with the filters removed? We've just purchased a few of these (probably the same units you run) and because during this season we're going to have to run them around the clock it's anticipated that they're going to want a new filter every couple of weeks. The expense for replacement filters is minimal but you know how it is.

We change out the filters monthly and they usually have a lot of mineral buildup on them, which reduces their efficiency.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back