Show icons for networked UPnP devices

[email protected]

Registered Users
Imagine if you will two microsoft windows xp professional on one hub and one xp home on another hub. Both hubs are connected together; all is ethernet cable - no wireless. All have static IP addresses on the same subnet 255.255.255.0 with 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc. They can all see each other and connect to each other and copy files etc until...
On one of the xp pro machines go to My Network places and click on Show icons for networked UPnP devices. At which point this pc can no longer see the other two pcs and they can longer see this one either. Format disc, reinstall, reconfigure and fine until someone hits: Show icons for networked UPnP devices.

why do you need to hit show icons for upnp

have you tried changing the workgroup to something else. reboot. change back.
reboot.

UPnP devices

UPnP devices

Actually I have no need what-so-ever to view UPnP devices, the problem is that my client occasionally employs temporary workers who do all sorts of things; most of which can be sorted, but this this one has me stumped.

Although I should declare that I am not a Microsoft expert and so it is entirely possible that I have simply missed something obvious.

I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens . . .

good luck, I hate when 14 different people use my pc and move the icons and install software. I can imagine what it is like on this one.

Turn it off !!

Turn it off !!

You most likely don't need UPnP anyway. It's a security issue and you can share files & printers without it.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click Add/Remove Windows Components.

In the Windows Components Wizard, click Networking Services, click Details, and then de-select the check mark next to UPnP user interface.

4. Reboot.

5. live a happier life. :)

You're welcome,
Bretman

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back