Skew on Morgana Docufold Pro

gazfocus

I swear, finishing equipment and me really don't get on! haha.

I've recently purchased a used Morgana Docufold Pro (current model with the colour touchscreen). A great piece of kit by the looks of it.

However, whenever I try to fold anything, the results are really inconsistent. Probably one sheet out of 30 folds straight but all other sheets are folding askew. I've included a photo to show its not way off but too 'out' to give the product to a customer.

I've been through the manual and that suggests using the roller tilt lever but that does absolutely nothing and the fold is still skewed the same amount. The manual also mentions checking the fold plates are seated correctly, etc, which I've done and they are.

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd be hugely grateful as I don't really want to fold 1,000 leaflets by hand :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Skew.jpg
    Skew.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 165
We have this model folder and we don't have this skew issue--or when we do have a slight skew, using the roller tilt lever does the trick.

My first guess is that your prints were not cut square. Either the backstop on your cutter is off, or the sheets weren't squared into the corner when placed in the cutter. The best way to quickly check this is to manually fold the sheet in half horizontally and see if all edges line up perfectly square. Then unfold it and fold it vertically to check the same thing.

If that's not the issue, here are a few other ideas:
  1. Make sure you're folding with the grain. I'm seeing some cracked edges which makes me think you may be folding against the grain
  2. Verify the adjustable black side guide/rail is square and/or tight enough against your sheets.
  3. Try creasing it before folding.
  4. If all else fails, take off the fold plates and open up to check if there is possibly something loose or stuck in there.

We have this model folder and we don't have this skew issue--or when we do have a slight skew, using the roller tilt lever does the trick.

My first guess is that your prints were not cut square. Either the backstop on your cutter is off, or the sheets weren't squared into the corner when placed in the cutter. The best way to quickly check this is to manually fold the sheet in half horizontally and see if all edges line up perfectly square. Then unfold it and fold it vertically to check the same thing.

If that's not the issue, here are a few other ideas:
  1. Make sure you're folding with the grain. I'm seeing some cracked edges which makes me think you may be folding against the grain
  2. Verify the adjustable black side guide/rail is square and/or tight enough against your sheets.
  3. Try creasing it before folding.
  4. If all else fails, take off the fold plates and open up to check if there is possibly something loose or stuck in there.
Hey. Thanks for the input.

I've checked the paper and it's definitely cut square. I've even tried with uncut paper straight out of the packet and it's still skewed.

What I think you're mistaking for cracking is something I've only just spotted but it's on the opening edge of the leaflet, not the fold. The morgana seems to be scuffing the sheets as they either go into the machine or when they hit the folding plate. I wondered whether whatever is causing this is causing the skew also. I wonder if the sheets are catching somewhere.

I've had a look inside the fold plate (it's only a half fold so only checked the top plate) and I can't see anything in there.

What's really got me stumped is that moving the roller tilt lever is not making any difference at all, which makes me think something else is causing the skew.

p.s. I have just tried a tri-fold and the second plate is much more accurate than the first plate.

Just thought it worth mentioning, I've just ran a few sheets through my Duplo DC-445 creaser and they've creased 100% square. I've also just measured the backstop of the guillotine all the way across and that is straight (I did have my doubts haha).

So, it's something with the Morgana.

I've also noticed that where the morgana is 'damaging' the sheets is in line with the paper gate. I've just tried raising it and it made no difference other than to misfeed multiple sheets.

The only other thing I might try is altering the amount of air being used and see if that makes a difference.

I don’t have a Morgana but I believe it’s a buckle folder so maybe some of the same items would apply that worked for me in the past. Try folding an unprinted sheet to see what happens and it may eliminate some items below.

Open fold plate covers and make sure you don’t have a small piece a paper stuck at the fold bar
Clean rollers, heavy toner on coated stock can sometimes cause paper to slip a bit
Adjust infeed guides to angle paper in one direction or the other
Score sheets prior to folding, even if plate is off a bit a score can help hold fold in place

I would say that it is the skew adjustment at the top of the folding attachments. There is a knob at the top for adjusting skew. Not to be confused with the nob for adjusting the fold. The skew knob has a lock screw and a plus and minus setting. It should be set to zero. A novice will use the machine and change it on you.

Hi Halmac,
Our plates don't have skew adjustment on them I don't think as it's all done digitally. There's a roller tilt lever which, according to the manual, is meant to fix skew but the paper is still skewed regardless of where that lever is positioned.

I definitely think the company I bought it from are going to have to come out and take a look at it :(

You do seem limited in what the user can adjust alright. Are your roller pressures equal on both sides? you seem to be able to adjust that.

I know adjusting the tilt should help but I can't see this being answer, on the old version you can adjust skew on the plates independently.
So if you can't do this on the pro then my assumption is that these have to be set 100% accurately via calibration as the tilt would effect both plates?

Try setting the job to come out on the catch tray. Then swap out the fold plates to see if the skew is the same on both, then you'll be able to eliminate the plates as the problem.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back