Slime in water circulator and water trays

We had the same problem what was found is that we had fungus growing in our system caused from the fountain chemical . we bleached the system once then went with a different type of fountain solution . this happens with neutrals from what the rep told us .

New Clue

New Clue

They are not developed on press. The plates are processed in a washout unit. The same washout unit has been used from day one.

In general, fungus, a slimy, snotty, looking mass that may or may not have a mild yeasty odor is more of a problem for acid fountain solutions than for neutrals. Bacteria infestations, invisible, but so smelly the neighbors complain, are more common in neutrals than in acids. Some people get infested with both!
Best protection is to keep the solution circulating. Both fungus and bacteria are usually introduced into the system through contact with the air and if the fountain solution isn't moving, only the bacteria/funguscide ingredients at the surface (a very small proportion) have any effect.
Second line of defense is bleach. It indiscriminately kills all of these organisms and is inexpensive, available, and can be used to whiten your whites if need be.

The answer to getting rid of our slime problem is we changed the washout cleanout solution in the washout unit. The slime problem in our presses and circulator went away in a less than a week and has not returned.

A close friend is using thermal plates and a standard developer gum fixer. He has had slime problems for years and required a bleach cleaning on the presses every 2 weeks. He changed his gumming solution to the version made for thermal plate developer units. His slime and on press problems went away.

We were informed that this is totally new technology.

The amazing part of this is it cost less than 1/2 than the oem product.

I highly recommend the product. We purchased it from BestChem&Supply.

From my experience I wouldn't use the oem product even if it was free.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back