SM 52 the meaning of numbers

naposim

Dear colleagues,

I need a piece of information related to the Sm 52.

I need a detailed description of what exactly does the white and red numbers.
I know that are associated with the ink distribution, but I need table of what to expect from that position.

THNX

Attachments

• photo5267.JPG
    photo5267.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 243
  • photo5268.JPG
    photo5268.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 231
Ive never run an m52 but I have run the larger Speedmasters and I can tell you that even if the table were available to you it would still be a hit or miss proposition. Im assuming here that you already know what the numbers represent, and will say that the reason why its hit or miss is mainly because the ink take off on every form is different. Whats most important to know is that you will need to move the cylinder a good amount to see any sort of change in gripper to tail ink distribution. When I say a good amount I would begin with at least a 45 degree move.

By changing the lateral ink distribution (technically) you are apply to apply more ink to lead edge or the back edge of a printed image. Most presses were set for Position White 1, which would give you approx 100% inking at the lead edge. As Turbotom pointed out this could be hit or miss. A White 6 setting would give you more inking at the tail end of a printed sheet. The white position if I recall would take a heavier charge if ink and distribute it to the Gear side of the ink train. For example: If you were printing a heavy coverage image on the Gear side of the press the charge of ink would start from the Gear Side. If the heavy coverage was on the operator side you might be starving the ink minimally, if you were set at White 1. You can change the distribution by moving the setting to Red 1. The inner numbers pertain to the amount of oscillation movement you get side to side.
On later models of Heidelberg presses with CP 2000 screens and onward you could adjust the lateral distribution remotely from the Press Console. This function enabled you to send more ink to any position you want on your printed sheet.I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, please ask and I am sure you will find some other input from other operators to help you.

Thank you for your answers but I still do not understand the principle of how it works.
Because if I understand one section my German manual that is poorly written says if set to 1 white to the printing of the maximum size sheet with maximum coverage.. If we put the 2 white then it is enough to print A3 size with full coverage of the sheet. Does this mean that the white numbers are related to the sheet format in the press? So if I go with this logic white numbers for even distribution of ink , depending on the size of the sheet. But I still do not understand meaning of red numbers and they affect to the distribution of ink.Which of them are for Operator Side and Gear Side.
I'am very confused.:confused:

I found some information, and I am enclosing of an English Version of a Lateral Distribution chart for an SM74. The principles are the same for the SM 52. Read the part that pertains to Lateral Ink Distribution. My numbers in the previous post may have been incorrect. I was going from memory. Basically you can adjust the charge of ink that is distributed to the ink train by changing the timing and alter density values on the printed sheet.
Example: If you are printing jar labels of the same product for Coffee 20 labels up. 4 rows of 5 labels across the sheet, and you notice that the labels that are printed at the Gripper or lead edge look slightly darker than the ones at the tail of the sheet. You can adjust the ink flow in order to balance the colors more uniformly from front to back, or even in the middle of the sheet.
If you are set on the White numbers 1-5 (there is no 6 my mistake) the ink flow distribution will start from the Gear Side If you are set on R the ink flow distribution will start from the operator side. The White numbers in the centre that range from 0-35mm pertain to how far the distributor rollers travel side to side. 0 is zero and 35 is the maximum. I hope that you can see the attachment. If not I will try another method to get you the information.

Attachments

• SM74E.PDF
    352.7 KB · Views: 3,065
No Title

Mr.Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Thank you for the attached PDF. My Sm 52 has 6 white and 6 red numbers with the difference that the white number 1 inside the circle.
I think you can see in the pictures I've attached.
According to the PDF that you attach to the position number 1 is at least equal following the application of ink on the sheet, and the numbers 2,3,4 most balanced application of ink.

And what I've managed to translate from my "manual" one white inside a circle is the most suitable for printing in most jobs. Here are pictures of my page manual.

Attachments

• photo5277.jpg
    photo5277.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 228
I guess that here are 6 positions according to the description in the PDF file that I sent you. I cannot enlarge your photo to get a better picture of what is in your manual. I seem to remember that the presses when new from the factory were set at Position White 1. This was good enough to print most print jobs. As I stated before on the later models of SM 102 and up you could change the distribution from the CP 2000 or Press Centre without using any tools. If you have time to experiment than you can put on a job with heavy ink coverage and check the results for yourself. Just make sure that all rollers in the ink and dampening system are set correctly so that you do not get false results. I hope that this has been of some help. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions about the SM 52.If I can answer them I will, and you may also get information from other operators that contribute to this Forum.

The picture is pretty big when you open.
I appreciate the help I guess I will have to experiment to see what they can expect from different positions.

But I have another question when you have already offered to help me.

What is the easiest way to setup Metering roller to the Dampening form roller.

I was try the method with ink rollers down and dampening system engaged for 30 sec. and it was a little disappointment.(I could not get a inner stripe 4mm wide , my stripe was about 8 mm wide in total).

I was able to open the picture to make it bigger. Start with position White 1 and experiment form there. Here are my suggestions for setting the metering roller.
8mm is a too much pressure from the metering roller to the Dampening form roller.
1. Adjust the water pan roller to the metering roller to until the heavy film of water is gone.
2. Inch the press forward and make sure the plate gap is facing the delivery. Engage the ink forms to the plate. Then engage the dampening system for approx. 15 seconds. Disengage the dampening system and ink rollers. Open the guard over the inking system. With a good light for illumination turn the pan roller by hand until you see a visible stripe stripe on the metering roller of approx 4-5mm. Adjust the setting via the Adjusting srews and re-check the setting. Sometimes the action of the metering roller engaging to the dampener form roller will make the stripe look very wide. Look in between this wide stripe to see the inner stripe. You could also check the setting using paper strips.

Thank you for reply.

I was using that method and I could not get "inner" stripe ,no meter how much I increase or decrease pressure beatwen the rollers.

But I manage to get a good setup for dampers.

I forgot to mention previously that if you have a problem seeing the stripe. If you have water in the dampening system then you should wipe of any fountain solution that remains on the metering roller. Then turn the roller by hand so that the dry spot on the metering roller make contact with the ink that is on the Dampening form roller. You should be able to see the stripe better.

I forgot to mention previously that if you have a problem seeing the stripe. If you have water in the dampening system then you should wipe of any fountain solution that remains on the metering roller. Then turn the roller by hand so that the dry spot on the metering roller make contact with the ink that is on the Dampening form roller. You should be able to see the stripe better.

In addition to drying water off the roller you could also cut a couple of 1 inch wide strips of coated paper and place them in the nip between the rollers while the pneumatics are not engaged. Once the strips are positioned you can engage the pneumatics onto the strips of paper. This will allow any ink to be transferred to the paper and allow a stripe to be visible. I make it a point to try and hold the rollers in order to prevent the backlash in the gears to give a false reading.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back