Small Printer CTP System vs. CTF

pantone292

I work for a small sheet fed digital and offset printer. We have a 2 color GTO, a small Hamada for envelopes, and a DI for our 4-color work. For many years we have outsourced film for our 1 and 2-color work. Although we would love to put something like Presstek's chemistry free system in place, we do not print enough volume to support the cost structure. Right now we're actually entertaining buying something like an Agfa Select Set 7000. It seems a bit crazy to purchase such old technology, but it's difficult to justify investing in a CTP system, especially since we have the DI which images plates directly on press. Furthermore, 1 and 2-color work are not the areas of growth in printing. Rather, short-run 4-color work seems to provide the most opportunity.

I wanted to know if anyone had some advice in terms of purchasing a CTF. Our shop is worried that soon we won't be able to outsource for film because it's no longer a need for the industry.

Also, what's everyone's two cents for a small shop like us? Is it a waste of money to purchase a CTF?

Have you considered a CTP poly system. A system like the AbDick 2404 would allow you to plate 14x20 for you GTO's and use a second cassette for you Hamada. If you're really set on film it can also print the film though, I would then look at the smaller 2340. You're getting a max res of 2540 175 LPI on plates and 3000 300 LPI on film. I believe the unit is base on a Mitsubishi system so AbDick is not the only option. I worked for an Alphagraphics and they are still plating with the 2404 for a Ryobi 512 and a AbDick 9870. They are doing 4 color on the 512 with poly plates 2 colors at a time. We have 2340 here at my current job and are changing to a CTP metal system because are largest press in 19X25. If we were only running smaller format presses it would be extremely difficult to justify the metal system. Also don't sell spot work short. A lot of people are running to short run 4 color and leaving a lot of spot work on the table.

Contact me if your interested in the 2340 with a Harlequin RIP and 2 cassettes. I'll even throw in the Offline film processor.

I order to truly answer the question you need to know how many of each type of plate. you could by a heidelberg prosetter used for under $30,000. are you running a meta rip on the di. then you know how that works and dont' need another rip and you just need to add the prosetter. if you do film remember you have to have a film processor and a plate processor and chemistry for each. the labor of stripping. I have seen good work come off of a polyester plate. probably a little cheaper option. and yes everything is going four color, but people still want metalics that the di cant do.

I would not discount your revenue from 1 and 2 color work. If you are spending more than the 30k mentioned above in outsourcing the film, metal plates and chemistry, maintenance and time on the equipment in a years time, justifying going to CTP is easy. Mitsubishi has the Eco 1630 cut to size Poly and Glunz & Jensen now have the iCTP with metal plates that is truly chemistry free. Based off of your needs as you have described them, either of these solutions would fit perfectly. If you would like to discuss this further off line, give me a shout.

My suggestion to Your queiry - PANTONE 292

My suggestion to Your queiry - PANTONE 292

Hello,
What i understand from Your mail is that You are worried about the supply of film which You use for 1 and 2 colour jobs.Certainly the lith film is in its dying path.
Options to You:
1. Go for CTP - You are right , if You donot have job volume it is waste of money.
2. As one of the members suggested - Can go for outsourced CTP plates - getting the benefit without the investment.
3. Ideally - Can go for CTPoli System - From Technova Imaging Systems Pvt. Ltd. - India,also.
Benefit - Can print
A. Film from this system for making metal plates - Supports Upto 175 lpi,2880x2880 dpi,instant dry,water resistant,Zero base density.
B. Poliplate any size from this system - 30% cheaper than Your existing cost,Processless,supports upto 133 lpi and 2880x2880 dpi.
C. Metal Inkjet PS plates.
D. Use the system for poofing,printing speciality media -Paper,Film,Canvas.

Puranjit

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back