Smartmark js help

MadMich

I'm trying to work out how to pull xml data from a web link into my javascript Smartmark?
Once i can see it in say the example task window, I could then query the data.

But im stumped and would appreciate your help.

Sounds interesting what you are doing..
But I'm not sure if I understand...
I'm guessing that you want to load data from the xml to the job to be able to control the work flow, correct?

To be able to do this you need the module:
Automated job creation

Then the work flow goes like this:
save the xml into a hotfolder
the hotfolder automatically creates a job and convert the other xml data to "job parameters"

wkr
Simon

Thanks for the reply,
I do have a system in place whereby job folders are created by users and parameters are made. I'm not sure if it's the module you speak of but i will check it out.
The trouble starts when users forget to send the data to backstage if they update it.
By getting the information directly from the source xml i could then compare the two and warn the user if it is incorrect.

Cheers

I don't have the module you speak of. I'm using level 2 MIS integration (JDF) which looking at the manual seems do a bit more.
I'd just like to know if it is possible to import web data into a backstage smartmark or is it that you can only use js smartmarks for internal backstage data?

hmm.. not sure if I understand you.
You say that you are using jdf to create jobs and add job parameters.
But that you want to add even more data using xml, correct?
Sorry, but I don't understand why you dont want your MIS system push that data as well?

There is one thing you can try.
In the job info window under the job parameter tab you have the possibility to load xml data.
Is this what you are looking for?

btw, what version are you working with?

Thanks for replying,
No I don't want to add anymore data.
I would like a way of confirming that the user has pushed any updated information from the MIS system to backstage. I have had an incident recently where the operator did not update the information to backstage.
So i am hoping to pull in the MIS information from a different source so that i can compare certain parameters and then let the operator know based on outcome.
Hope this makes sense. I am using AE10.1.1.

Instead of pulling in XML data, and then parsing it with Javascript, could you pull directly from the MIS using an ODBC query? What MIS do you have?

Currently using filemaker 11.
I think for security reasons I don't have a direct root to the database. Information can be only extracted from the database using a LDAP log in which has permission restrictions.

I would talk to whoever is limiting that access to the database. Would they be able to create a log in with just Select permissions? I've set up ODBC pulls to Filemaker 6 from Backstage years ago, don't see why you couldn't still do that in the current version. Would be much more straightforward than wading through XML to pull out some data.

Hi bobbyc,
I'd be interested in understanding how you did your set up, it's sound very interesting.
Plus if I can get a handle on it I can go back to the powers that be and see about those permissions!
Cheers

Sure thing...
You'll need to install the proper ODBC drivers on your AE machine:
Installing ODBC and JDBC for FileMaker 11 | FileMaker

In the Data Sources (ODBC) program (under Admin tools on your Windows server), you'll create a System DSN. This sets up the connection to the database (server url, login credentials, etc...). Once that is done, you can set up SmartNames that do a Database Query. Just use the named ODBC connection, then use an SQL Select command to pull your data. There should be some Esko documentation on this.

W3Schools has some great tutorials on that: SQL SELECT Statement

You're somewhat limited in the SQL calls you can make anyway, but you'll be looking to do something like: "SELECT dataA, dataB FROM datatable_name WHERE job_id=jobnumber"

It's important to remember that in the SmartMarks database query, it will return ONE and only ONE result, so you must be specific in the table row you want. If you do a SELECT that returns multiple rows, you only get one (can't recall if it's first or last).

The other option is as Simon mentioned above, adding triggers to the database to refresh the information in Automation Engine. So, if field X changes, push new XML to AE. That would be dependent on those "powers that be", however.

Last edited:
bobbyc
I'm also using FileMaker Pro and would like to know how you push data back to Filmaker from AE.

Kind regards
Simon

No easy way to do this as far as I know. Pulling data into AE SmartNames is easy enough, but pushing isn't something that's native, as far as I know.

I've used custom scripts to parse the XML that the Ink Coverage task generates and populate FileMaker and other databases. That XML contains file data such as path, colors, ink info, etc... Maybe be able to script to bring in data from other output files from AE?

bobbyc
I'm also using FileMaker Pro and would like to know how you push data back to Filmaker from AE.

Kind regards
Simon

bobbyc,
Have you tried using the Notifications (the little bell in all the tickets) to output XML to FileMaker?

bobbyc,
Have you tried using the Notifications (the little bell in all the tickets) to output XML to FileMaker?

I have not. Just took a look at it though, and that would be a really slick way to get some more data out of AE. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a noob at this but I tried some things yesterday..

On my mac, where I have my filemaker, I installed ODBC Manager and set-up the connection to my AE Job DB.
Then I add that DB to my filemaker and make the relation.
(OrderID-OrderID)

I just tried this yesterday, but so far I get milstones, actor and creation date info pulled out from AE to my Filemaker.

Bobbyc:
Don't I need to have the ODBC manager installed on the same computer as my filemaker?

eskopdl:
I have tried to use the notification but couldnt figure out how to read it back into Filemaker...
Any advice on how to do that? Please mail me.

PS. I'm not in production, im just doing this for fun (addicted)

Last edited:
Bobbyc:
Don't I need to have the ODBC manager installed on the same computer as my filemaker?

You shouldn't. The ODBC driver is client-based... it's been a while since using any modern versions of Filemaker though, so you may need something to "turn it on"? I abandoned Filemaker after 6 or 7 in favor of Postgresql.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back