Snow Leopard only loads fonts after rebooting

GinSu

Adobe CS5 forced us to upgrade our only Intel Mac. I skipped Leopard and went straight to Snow Leopard (10.6.4). While all seems well with how we use Adobe Apps and fonts, I am unable to get any version of Quark (6.5, 7.x, 8.x) to recognize fonts copied to the "~/Library/Fonts" until after I restart the system. Suitcase Fusion and Font Explorer X Pro will not activate fonts, period.

I've followed the suggestions of Kurt Lang's "Font Management in OS X". My caches have been clean (repeatedly) and only the required fonts are in "/System/Library/Fonts".

The only way I can successfully load ANY (Type 1, .otf, .ttf, .ttc, .dfont) for use in Quark is to copy them to "~/Library/Fonts" and restart.

What am I missing? I shouldn't need to restart the machine to load fonts, that's just stupid.

Last edited:
I'm taking it that the "~/Library/Fonts" is the users Library/Font folder as opposed to the "/Library/Fonts" which is the Fonts folder for all users. Although it shouldn't make any difference which one you use, maybe there's an issue with Quark and Snow Leopard.

I use Snow Leopard with Suitcase Fusion 3 (v14.0.4) and have no problems with font activation with any types of fonts with any application that I use. I do not use Quark, however. I gave up on Quark quite a few years ago when they were even wore to deal with than Adobe are now.

I can only suggest that you…
a. Try the latest version of Suitcase Fusion
b. Try putting your fonts in the root level Library/Fonts folder instead of the user level Library/Fonts folder.
c. Try other applications - if they see the fonts then it's Quarks problem

I'm taking it that the "~/Library/Fonts" is the users Library/Font folder as opposed to the "/Library/Fonts" which is the Fonts folder for all users. Although it shouldn't make any difference which one you use, maybe there's an issue with Quark and Snow Leopard.

I use Snow Leopard with Suitcase Fusion 3 (v14.0.4) and have no problems with font activation with any types of fonts with any application that I use. I do not use Quark, however. I gave up on Quark quite a few years ago when they were even wore to deal with than Adobe are now.

I can only suggest that you…
a. Try the latest version of Suitcase Fusion
b. Try putting your fonts in the root level Library/Fonts folder instead of the user level Library/Fonts folder.
c. Try other applications - if they see the fonts then it's Quarks problem
Thanks for your quick response Bo3b, however I've tried all of those suggestions without success.

Something is amiss.... I haven't had any issues with activation by dropping straight into the User/Fonts folder or with Suitcase Fusion 2 and Suitcase Fusion 3 with Snow Leopard 10.6.X

You didn't happen to upgrade to 10.6.5 today did you?

I don't utilize Quark very often, can you confirm this is not Quark specific?

Did you restart Quark after you dropped the fonts in there? With Quark 8 you might try dropping the fonts into the "Quark/Required Components/Fonts" folder and restarting it. Not sure if this folder is there in earlier versions though.

Something is amiss.... I haven't had any issues with activation by dropping straight into the User/Fonts folder or with Suitcase Fusion 2 and Suitcase Fusion 3 with Snow Leopard 10.6.X

You didn't happen to upgrade to 10.6.5 today did you?

I don't utilize Quark very often, can you confirm this is not Quark specific?
Thanks chevalier, but no I haven't upgraded to 10.6.5.

It is however, Quark/Suitcase/FontExplorerXPro/FontAgentPro specific since the fonts do show up in TextEdit but will not activate with any of the above listed font managers or show up in QX.

Luckily, I have a complete backup of the previous Tiger install (the first time in 20 years I've bothered to backup before updating and I gotta use it!) and will try upgrading that to Leopard.

I believe with 10.5 and above you need to place the fonts in > Users/XXX/Library/Fonts.
The XXX is the user account that is active at the time.

We are on 10.6.4 with Quark 7.5 and use the user/library/fonts folder method and everything works. I am wondering if it is because you also have a font manager installed and it is causing the conflict?

As well Quark 7.5 is buggy somewhat on 10.6. What I had to do was also install Quark 8. Even if it is the demo. For some reason there is some shared files between the 2 versions and installing version 8 after version 7 straightens the problem out.

You could also create a new user account on your Mac and see if the issue is still there.

p

Maybe something got corrupted in your user account. Is the account a standard or admin? If it's a standard some programs can have problems with font activations.

I'd try creating a new admin account in your system prefs and log into that and see if it helps.

If it doesn't then you could alway try an archive and reinstall of Snow Leopard.

Shawn

Use Linotypes Font Explorer X instead of Suitcase. Quark doesn't play well with most font managers out now-a-days. FEX is the only one I've found that works 99.9% of the time. Using the User/Font folder will only give you problems in the long run (font conflicts, constant restarts to clean out, etc).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was able to create a new admin User that does work with the fonts the way you'd expect using the "~/Library/Fonts/" folder.

Quark font problems

Quark font problems

I am also having problems with Quark 8 and fonts. I have installed the font Tahoma and Tahoma Bold using every possible means and only Tahoma Bold will show up in Quark. I have even tried numerous font folders from different sources with no luck. I am a prepress person and use Suitcase Fusion on an Intel Mac running Snow Leopard.

Use Linotypes Font Explorer X instead of Suitcase. Quark doesn't play well with most font managers out now-a-days. FEX is the only one I've found that works 99.9% of the time. Using the User/Font folder will only give you problems in the long run (font conflicts, constant restarts to clean out, etc).

We haven't seen any of the issues you speak of by using the user/font folder. We have been doing it this way since 10.4 and it works very well. I guess each persons mileage may vary?

p

As long as you keep it clean and you are the only one putting fonts in there, you should be ok.
With us, we have more than one operator and there are some people that forget to take them out, and then when someone else loads in more, then the fun starts.

I have been loading fonts in and out of the User/Library/Fonts and haven't had any problem other than needing to quit the page layout programs (Quark and InDesign) before the fonts are seen by the app.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back