Specks in toner printer?

gordo

Any ideas as to what causes specks to appear along the sides of the sheets in the printing direction on a toner (electrophotographic) printer?

(arrows point to some of the specks)

spot_c8000_3.jpg

thx, gordon p

Are the toner spots all the same color toner? Most of those look like black, but I do see one cyan. What kind of machine is it? I would try replacing the suspect color(s) drum. If the seals on the drum are getting warn down excess toner can be deposited. Also check inside the machine to see if during a toner cartridge change any toner may have fallen out, and when the machine runs and vibrates a bit of it is getting onto the paper path and or transfer belt. Last thing to check would be the fuser rollers. When fuser rollers start to breakdown they can collect toner particles, then deposit them elsewhere, but that would usually occur across the entire page, not just a side.

what's the size of that? Can the naked eye see it?

As you can see in the photo the specks appear to be one toner particle in size (compare the specks to the halftone dots (which are made up of multiple toner particles). They're too small to be seen with the naked eye.

best, gordon p

That's what I thought.
I was just wondering if it's not visible why bother.
I'm sure there's a good reason for you.

Maybe a flaky Drum or some corrosion on a charge unit causing some excess toner to get left behind and fused? The odd thing is, it is not all one color....

I've seen something similar and we fixed it by air-spraying out some areas within the machine with compressed air. We assumed it was simply dust somewhere in there that would randomly land along the imaging path and occasionally (and randomly) get fused with whatever raw toner it may have picked up. But we never absolutely determined exactly where. But a good, cautious, careful cleaning fixed it.

Not sure if this is exactly the same situation. But might help.

Note: Before you blow air into any machine, be sure to consider where that unfused toner is going to end up. Also, use the lowest pressure you have available. =)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back